Vikingkirken's Dutch/breeding Tanks

Discussion in 'Members Fish Tanks' started by vikingkirken, Apr 26, 2017.

1. vikingkirken

vikingkirkenWell Known MemberMember

My kids and I are embarking on what will hopefully be a long and enjoyable science project, attempting to breed different types of fish that are currently in our main tank. We'll be starting with livebearers (swordtails) as those seem to be the easiest. Then moving on to easy egg-scatterers (gold barbs), tougher ones (rainbowfish), and hopefully, eventually, some cichlids (guianacaras, if we get a pair out of our three).

We're going to try for a natural approach, with hornwort and moss to help keep water pure--particularly when we have tiny fry and water changes are not easy. Hopefully, the plants should also provide some cover for eggs and tiny fry, and a home for lots of infusoria.

Anyone who has tried this approach to breeding, we'd love any tips :)

Here's the setup so far. The light is a cheap desk light for now, supplementing sunlight. We'll be rearranging once the driftwood sinks, and the Java ferns will be tied it.
    IMG_20170426_192643874_HDR.jpg

2. ahouseofscales

ahouseofscalesValued MemberMember

Wow, nice tank! I wish I could have a breeder that large. I don't know anything about breeding egg layers, but I do breed livebearers. You shouldn't have any problems breeding in that tank. Just make sure you keep up with the water changes :) If you want you could put a piece of nylon over the siphon intake when you're cleaning. That would prevent any fry from being sucked up.

3. OP
    OP
    vikingkirken

Oh, that's a good idea! I'll definitely try that.

One reason we went with this size was so we could more easily maintain water quality with tiny fry. It's also our growout tank, so it needed to be able to accommodate some larger juveniles. Particularly the larger rainbows we'd like to try eventually, and the cichlids.

4. ahouseofscales

ahouseofscalesValued MemberMember

Definetly. Water quality is super important. I bet it will look great once you have the larger juveniles in there.

5. OP
    OP
    vikingkirken

@NavigatorBlack you mentioned a friend who "accidentally" bred rainbows once in a heavily planted tank. Any tips for getting this tank to that point? Or any tips at all for that matter, you know your stuff!

6. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

There are a lot of egg layers you can breed in what are usually called "natural set ups", but you need to go with one species per tank to succeed. A lot of people don't like that.
    For rainbows you need some ultra fine food, plus regular fare. I maintain mine at 23c, and separate males and females for 10-14 days before. I use acrylic mops along with plants. They are easy to make.
    Combine the fish and raise the temps to 26-27. Spawning follows every morning.I leave them in for a few days - then I have a choice.
    I can leave them, mixing fine and regular food as of 7 days after introducing them (the incubation time, in general, at that temp). With the parents in, you get a few fry. Or, take the parents out and watch for a lot of miniscule black commas at the surface. They are small. It will take 5-6 weeks til you can move them.
    That way, 50 to 150 are possible, but 30 is a good end result. Below - mops! Rainbows fill them with eggs. mop (640x427).jpg

7. OP
    OP
    vikingkirken

I am planning on only doing one species at a time, so that's covered. I was hoping the Christmas moss I tied to stones would grow into "natural spawning mops". I'm certainly open to adding yarn ones if you think it would work better, thoughts?

I had a surprise praecox spawn a few months back. None of the babies made it, unfortunately, as I wasn't prepared and had no idea what I was doing. But I saw how incredibly tiny rainbow fry are!

8. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

Rainbows are, well, sort of, umm, okay. They are dumb. They will eat some of their own eggs, but only of it's easy. So a mop provides a large surface for them to lose their eggs in. If you have a ton of moss, that'll work.

9. OP
    OP
    vikingkirken

I've heard them referred to as the dumb blondes of the fish world... Beautiful but not too bright. My brief experience with them proves that out for me. Haha!

If my moss isn't huge and beautiful by the time we get to rainbows, I'll definitely try the yarn mops.

10. OP
    OP
    vikingkirken

Time to get serious about breeding some wanamensis. Cranked the temp up a couple degrees, and added an acrylic spawning mop tonight. Let's see if we get some spawning action. If not, I'll try moving just the male to my 125g soon, then after a couple weeks I'll move him back to this tank. Seem like a reasonable plan? Any foods that seem to put rainbows in the mood...?

11. OP
    OP
    vikingkirken

So I moved some hornwort from my 20 breeder to my 5.5g about a week ago to get a quarantine tank going for new fish. Today I looked in there and OH MY STARS BABY WANAMS!!! @NavigatorBlack what happens next??

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  12. OP
    OP
    vikingkirken

I'm feeding these guys with green water and a tiny bit of Golden Pearls every two hours during the day. I also shake out the hornwort a bit each time, which sends tiny things into the water that the fry are picking at. Only four fry, we'll see if more appear over the next few days... I was not planning on doing this in the 5.5, I hope I'm not overfeeding and messing up the water quality as a result! I'm only adding what sticks to my finger when I dip it in the GP, a tiny amount. The fry are so so small!

Anyone have advice on when to do a water change with these tiny little guys?

13. OP
    OP
    vikingkirken

Spot the tiny fry :hilarious:
    FOT9A43.JPG
    FOTB6F4.JPG
    FOTD0A7.JPG

14. Betrayer

BetrayerWell Known MemberMember

So cute! I'll be following along. Good luck with the fry!

15. OP
    OP
    vikingkirken

@Lchi87 I know you've been raising baby brine shrimp to feed your EBA fry. Do you have any pics of your setup, or tips? I feel like you talked about this awhile ago, but I don't know where to look... I need to get some started for my babies! Thanks for any help you can give me!

16. Lchi87

Lchi87ModeratorModerator Member

Super easy!
    What you will need:
    Empty clean 2 liter soda bottle or similar with cap
    Aquarium salt
    Air pump and tubing and air stone
    Brine shrimp eggs
    A nice warm desktop lamp
    Flashlight
    Turkey baster

Cut the bottom third of the bottle off. Put the bottom cap down and the bottom piece should act like a cradle. The open part should now be on top.

Add 1-2tbsp of salt and fill the rest with lukewarm water. Add half a tsp of the bbs eggs and give it a stir. Plug in your air pump and attach the tubing and place the bubbling end as far down to the bottom as possible. Helps to have an air stone attached so the end is weighted.

Position your hatchery under your light and ensure the contents are agitated nicely and there are no dead spots.

Wait 24-48 hours depending on how hot your lamp runs and you should have newly hatched bbs!

When it comes time to harvest:
    Shut off your lamp and air pump and shine a flash light through the bottom of the hatchery. The bbs will be drawn to the light source and will gather there. Stick your turkey baster right into the clump of bbs that gathers by the light and suction them out. Dispense the bbs you just removed into a cup of tank water to rinse off and dilute the saltwater and feed. A small amount of salt water should not bother the fry.

The lamp and pump can be turned back on after you've harvested the amount needed but will need to be reset at least every two days to ensure the bbs being fed still has their yolk sack, which they will deplete over time. No use feeding bbs with no yolk sack since that is where the nutrients are!

The leftover bbs in the cup of tank water will stay alive for less than 24 hrs but should give you enough for a few feedings.

I'll attach photos in a sec!

Edit:
    Okay I lied and can't find my photos soooo here's a link explaining everything instead LOL. Ignore that they ask for two bottles unless you really want to do it, one has worked just fine for me!

Solid Gold: Easy DIY Brine Shrimp Hatchery

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  17. OP
    OP
    vikingkirken

Thanks so much! This is our big science project this week! :D

18. Lchi87

Just want to note that the type of bulb you use will make all the difference. Generally speaking, energy saving types don't get hot enough. Found out the hard way lol. Hope you and the kids have fun with this!

19. OP
    OP
    vikingkirken

We may get really crazy and partially submerge the bottle in a heated 2.5g aquarium (I have a spare sitting around). I'm not sure I have anything but LEDs in the house...

20. Lchi87

LOL that could work too! I didn't have anything but led on hand either and I was having a hard time tracking one down at the store because apparently people hardly use that kind anymore lol. Imagine the confusion of the hardware store employee when I asked for non-energy saving bulbs and inquired how hot it ran

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017