1. shrimp

shrimp Member Member

Ratings:
    +1

2. MJDuti

MJDuti Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +85
    While I have never used a SunSun canister filter I have read many good reviews on them. I also know many people on this site use them so hopefully someone with experience will chime in.

3. poeticinjustices

poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +22
    I bought the 304B for my 75g goldfish tank following really strong reviews from FishLore members. I haven't set it up yet but just looking at...it's a monster of a canister. The thing is as big as our bathroom wastebasket and has TONS of space of filter media.

Beware the directions, however. My guess is they were written in Chinese (or was it Japanese? I can't remember where the mother company is based) and then translated on Free Translation or something. They are terrible but also kind of hilarious with phrases like "curvy bar" and "dirtiness valve" haha. Just watch some videos on YouTube.

4. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +258
    I have the exact filter linked, the SunSun HW-302. Sometimes it's sold under the name Grech or others. It's basically a generic Aquatop canister, and they are AWESOME. Best price around, for the cost of other canisters you could own 2 or 3 of these. They run super quiet and have tons of space for media, opening up lots of options for you. I run mine with a combination of the white filter floss pads, blue filter sponge pads (coarse) and a ton of Seachem Matrix for bio filtration. I also cut up the sponge and filter floss from my old filter and mixed it in the baskets as well to help seed the new filter.

I did a lot of research on them before I bought it, and the only complaint I could find is that some complained of the plastic baskets, specifically the handles, being somewhat easy to break. Even when broken the handles don't effect the performance. Knowing this going in, I'm just really careful with them and they seem fine to me.

One other "downside" of them is they don't include much filter media, which I actually prefer, as quite often the media included with filters isn't the greatest. I prefer to buy my own, and I really like Seachem Matrix. I also bought a few packs of the filter pads from ebay, they include 3 or 4 of the white filter "fine" pads and 1 of the blue sponge "coarse" pads. I replace 1 of the white pads every few months, blue pads just need rinsing, and the matrix is good forever basically.

Here is a good link I found in my research, it shows the unboxing and the media setup that someone else used (not my preferred setup). It helps show all the parts and some of the great translation fail, like Poetic mentioned. Nobody wants to incorrectly install the "joint of dirtiness entrance", haha.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/383115-hw-302-canister-filter/

5. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +1,811
  6. SW5

SW5 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Heard great things about the sunsun canisters, as others have said. I own a penn plax canister and really like it, so you could check those out as well if you would like to, however they are more expensive.

7. mosin360

mosin360 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    If I was going to buy a canister, Sunsun is what I would get.

8. brhebert

brhebert Member Member

Ratings:
    +33
    I bought this exact filter for my 36g about 2 months ago. The filter isn't too strong and it keeps my tank sparking clean with my water changed and sand vacs. It's also super silent which was important since it's about 3 feet from my bed. I would purchase this filter again in a heart beat!