Views On These Aggressive Central Americans

RonJ
I have come across someone who imported two central American monsters and bred them. Now he has a lot of fry. Selling rather very cheaply. He has San Pedro BeanI cichlid frys and Blue Umbee frys.

I know, Dovii, jaguar and Umbriferums are akin to death wish. I do not fancy 90Gallon tanks dedicated to a Cichlid god.

But how about Cichlasoma beanI A.K.A San Pedro BeanI ? They grow as big as a Jack Dempsy too right? Anti-social/Anti-community fish? A minimum 75 galloner? How nasty are they? Couldn't find much info online.
Oh these are the parents and the fry
*Video courtesy the guy who is selling them

Cichlidnut
I've never personally kept them. From what I've read, if you want to keep them with other fish you need 125 gallon or larger tank. They are much more aggressive than the commonly kept cichlids, but not the most aggressive out there. 75 gallons for a single fish should do just fine.

david1978
Just googling around and sounds like a cool fish. The size of an oscar but more aggressive.

TexasDomer
Have you seen this?
“Cichlasoma” beani, A Rare Middle American Cichlid (Top of the Food Chain) | Details | Articles |

RonJ
Actually a pair of Umbee or C beanI I could get for less than $20USD a pair for 2" frys... But I have not even committed myself to a red-devil yet. So far my flowerhorns and Reddevil hybrid parrots are the only aggressive ones. And I have been lucky so far that, they are still manageable. Blue Umbee is really really beautiful. 100 times more so than a JD.

RonJ
Have you seen this?
“Cichlasoma” beani, A Rare Middle American Cichlid (Top of the Food Chain) | Details | Articles |
I did see that... But was the only reference... It says they ate all their siblings.

TexasDomer
Yep, so looks like you would be mostly restricted to a pair (for larger tanks, like a 125) or a single (for a 75 gal).

RonJ
Yep, so looks like you would be mostly restricted to a pair (for larger tanks, like a 125) or a single (for a 75 gal).
I will give it a pass then.. Quite quite tempting though.. It says 1" per month growth rate. Similar to Oscar... Oh man they are beautiful.

chromedome52
This Mayaheros beani was nearly a foot long, and was not a winner at ACA convention 2010 because he was TOO SMALL. I've not kept them, but I would say a 125 for a single is probably still not big enough. I would suspect this is a fish for monster fish keepers. I have seen posts on some Cichlid forums that they are moderately aggressive.

beani Rio Panuco entry ACA10.JPG

RonJ
This Mayaheros beani was nearly a foot long, and was not a winner at ACA convention 2010 because he was TOO SMALL. I've not kept them, but I would say a 125 for a single is probably still not big enough. I would suspect this is a fish for monster fish keepers. I have seen posts on some Cichlid forums that they are moderately aggressive.
View attachment 411084
Umbee or C Beanie? Which one gets bigger? Can get as big as a Dovii?
The only article I found says can easily go upto 16". It surely seems to be rare.. I am so tempted that, I even thought of giving away my flower horns to keep one

chromedome52
Umbees can get HUuuge. Nearly the length of a dovii, but deeper bodied, so they are much heavier. At one time was thought to be the heaviest cichlid in the new world.

The beanI are very uncommon. "Rare" is a relative term.

RonJ
I got myself a parachromis loiselleI 2weeks ago. He is 2" in size and is all alone in a 20G grow out. At 2" even my 2" Blood parrots were picking on him(I assume it's a him but very well may be a she") . The seller swears that the "white beanie" he has will max out at 12". Same size as a my P. loiselleI when fully grown. In a 110G they could be tank mates.. HAHAHA But no, I am resisting the temptations.

Top Bottom