Video Of The Chili Endler Hybrids Eating Daphnia

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So my tanks of daphnia co cultures with dero worms and snails are finally taking off, and the Endlers are enjoying the results! I'm so glad I finally took the plunge and got into raising food for them.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bigdreams said:
Cool!! Did you grow the daphnia indoors or outdoors? Been thinking of starting up a culture, too
I know people on the coast growing them outdoors, but our inland temperatures swing too much from down to low 30's at night in winter to 110+ in the summer, so I'm growing them indoors. At this point, I have a 10-gallon co culture of them with snails and a 2-gallon of them with dero worms. I have air pumps in both of them but without an air stone as the daphnia do better with bigger bubbles. I have bright lighting over them and hornwort to keep the ammonia down. The snails eat the algae in their tank, and I just scrape the algae off the sides of the other one with a spatula, so the daphnia and dero worms can use it more easily. I don't even do water changes; I just use a turkey baster to extract obvious gunk (like when I made the mistake of mixing in whole wheat flour, which no one ate!) and to suck up creatures to feed to the Endlers. The amount of water I'm taking out and replacing daily seems to keep everyone happy.

I'm planning on starting up more cultures in plastic shoe boxes. (My feet aren't as easy going as they used to be, so I'm in the process of getting rid of my more stylishly painful shoes :0 ) It's so ridiculously easy Also, people tell me that they do crash, so I want to make sure that I have plenty of back up.

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Will 1.5 gallon unfiltered be fine for raising daphnia? Or should I get a ten gallon.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Discus-Tang said:
Will 1.5 gallon unfiltered be fine for raising daphnia? Or should I get a ten gallon.
You can start with that 1.5 gallon, but they'll probably outgrow it fast. If you're not doing dero worms (they seem to do better in shallow water), then go with the 10 gallon. You can have snails in there with them

bigdreams

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Fascinating... Been reading up dero worms. I am tempted to try this, I will likely ask you tons of questions soon.

Where did you get your starter culture of daphnia and dero worms? I am paranoid about introducing some parasite into my tank, would want a reputable source.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom