Vicious Dante?

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
I felt sorry for Dante, as he seemed a little lonely after I got rid of most of the other fish (livebearers). So I added two Gouramies to the tank. One, a blue or powder blue (marbled blue, no spots?), the other was supposed to be a honey gourami, but I think it was a male gold. The gold one began being aggressive to the blue one, and every now and then would try to go after Dante. I was going to take him (gold gourami) back to the LFS today, when the manager was in........ but he ended up dead. My suspicion is that Dante had had enough of the other fish trying to boss him around. I feel bad, in a way, but relieved that Dante wasn't the one to die.
Dante and the blue gourami get along fine. I think this one is a female, and is much more peaceful.

(I had thought that all gouramis were peaceful....... I guess I've learned my lesson, the hard way.)

S.

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Male gourami should never be kept together unless you have a VERY large tank. They are extremely peaceful except with other males. Females are very difficult to find because their color is bland by comparison. I would be very surprised if you had a female, but its not unheard of. I had to search long and hard for a female before I finally found one - she's a lemony gold color with pale red stripes.

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that I have a female. Her dorsal find is short and round, where the males have longer, pointed fins. I know for sure that the gold one was a male.... he was showing his "breeding colors"..........
Opal (the gourami I still have) looks like the picture I've attached, except that her dorsal fin is shorter and rounded, and she has a darker "stripe" down her sides.

S.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sunny-

I would say that you are VERY Fortunate that any of them are alive.  Gouramis and Bettas are related and it is generally considered to be the same as adding two male Bettas to the same tank.   The compatibility chart I have lists them as incompatible, but let us hope your luck holds out.  I am so glad that Dante was not the one hurt although I am sorry about your other fish.

https://www.fishlore.com/profile-bluegourami.htm (be sure to read the comments below. They are informative.)

here is the fish profile about the Blue Gourami and it gives some specs on the difference between the male and female fish, maybe that will help.  I did not see how big your tank is but it also says they can get to 6" and that is liable to intimidate Dante a bit maybe.

Good luck, I do mean it. 

Rose

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Good luck from me too. Lovely fish, I find Gouramis very neat, but yes, Rose is right, they are closely related enough to be serious competition. So I hope it works out.

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had trouble with gouramis attacking everything in sight, even in the large tank so I'm not keen on having them again.. sadly I lost both of them (one male, one female) but in a way it was a releif. They're naughty little so and so's!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I read further on the subject in the books I have on Tropical Fish and the statements were made that supported the comments on the Fish Profile on this site for Blue Gourami, that they do grow at times to 5-6" and will become quite aggressive to anything smaller than them. It did not specify whether this applied only to the males so I am guessing that perhaps the males may be worse but the same would apply somewhat to the females.

It is funny because they rated them no more aggressive than Bettas but then you read the comparisons of the two descriptions and they sound a lot more aggressive.

Good luck as I said, I would really keep an eye on Dante and make sure he is not overwhelmed somehow.

Rose

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, the chart I saw said that they can co-exist "with caution". The website also says that it is the males who are aggressive....
My tank is a 20 gallon..... with the few fish I have in there now, they all have plenty of space.

Anyway, Dante and Opal seem to be getting along fine. I'll keep you all updated.

Thanks for your concern.
S.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom