Vet Says To Use Untreated Tap Water?

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You wouldn't need to move the fish every day. You would just move them all to a smaller tank for treatment. When treatment is completed, move the fish back to the main tank.

That ammonia reading doesn't look like 2ppm to me. Could just be my monitor, I suppose.

jojomo91

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It still involves catching and moving them, acquiring yet another tank, a smaller heater and another filter of some kind, I just don't have the ability, time or space for it. I need to treat in the current tank. Also, Dr dosed my meds for the 30g anyway.

I really appreciate everyone support and advice. Wanted to make that clear. Right now, my goal would be to find out if there's something that can take Prime's place and leave the meds alone.

AvalancheDave

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All aquarium dechlorinators work the same way--they're reducing agents. If Prime is incompatible so are the others.

misfittoy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
And here's what an ammonia test on my tap looks like, guessing that's the chloramines...
I just wanted to let you know that I called Seachem to ask them about whether or not Prime would interfere with a medication I'm using in my tank (sadly, yes) and while I was on the line with them I also asked if Prime would affect the effectiveness of oxytetracycline and they said NO! MYSTERY SOLVED. Just call me Nancy.

jojomo91

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just wanted to let you know that I called Seachem to ask them about whether or not Prime would interfere with a medication I'm using in my tank (sadly, yes) and while I was on the line with them I also asked if Prime would affect the effectiveness of oxytetracycline and they said NO! MYSTERY SOLVED. Just call me Nancy.
Wow really? That's amazing thank you.

Robert Fletcher

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If there is chlorine/chloramine in the water how about treating it with straight sodium thiosulfate solution. After all that is the main ingredient in these proprietary water conditioners. Talk to a pharmacist they are more likely to know intersections.

Kyleaz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Is this a fish vet or how many times has the vet seen fish? I would buy baby water.JMHO is you whole tank sick or one or two fish. I would put the fish into a smaller tank or a large glass bowl. Do you have cats? in a small bowl you will need less water.
Kyleaz

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
5505C380-3AAA-49D7-9641-64C55361DD4E.jpeg
Wow jojomo kudos to you calling a vet for a bh tetra. I didn’t ever know there were fish vets. I’m surprised there’s ammonia in your tap water. But I’m from New York and I guess everybody’s water is different. Could your test kit be wrong? What’s the ammonia reading in the 210? Just came on here to show you something I rigged up years ago. Bought it all from Home Depot and use this simple filter when I do water changes. There are many different cartridges for it. I use it to remove chlorine from tap water.

CraiginWales

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think there’s an issue with the way Prime actually works because Nitra-Guard recommends not using it if possible & another treatment, I can’t properly remember but it may be eSHa 2000. There are plenty of others available though.

Kyleaz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My husband bough a small Ro filter for me. It looks about the size as the above filter. it has 2 more cartridges. I have to make water when ever I am thinking about in. I can only fill a 5 gal about 2/3 full because I have to haul it up stairs. The used fish water is good for the plants but I think it is a 2 person job. I let the bottle run over on the shrimp tank and had a mess in the kitchen Saturday. Our water bill went up too. Ro wastes I think a good 1/3 of the water. Too costly for the whole house but much easier than going to the water store to pick up water!

NightShade

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My husband bough a small Ro filter for me. It looks about the size as the above filter. it has 2 more cartridges. I have to make water when ever I am thinking about in. I can only fill a 5 gal about 2/3 full because I have to haul it up stairs. The used fish water is good for the plants but I think it is a 2 person job. I let the bottle run over on the shrimp tank and had a mess in the kitchen Saturday. Our water bill went up too. Ro wastes I think a good 1/3 of the water. Too costly for the whole house but much easier than going to the water store to pick up water!
When using RO, you need to remineralize it, otherwise it messes with the fish's osmoregulation

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When using RO, you need to remineralize it, otherwise it messes with the fish's osmoregulation
I remineralize it by mixing with tap. If you need an RO unit it's almost always because your tap has too many minerals. I am not going to buy any additives that comes out of my tap for nearly free.

NightShade

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I remineralize it by mixing with tap. If you need an RO unit it's almost always because your tap has too many minerals. I am not going to buy any additives that comes out of my tap for nearly free.
I agree, @OnTheFly. I'm glad you mentioned that fact, because I forget that some people can do that LOL! Unfortunately, my tap water has practically no minerals... 2° GH so, I've gotta add minerals back into some of my tanks ~ depending on inhabitants

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree, @OnTheFly. I'm glad you mentioned that fact, because I forget that some people can do that LOL! Unfortunately, my tap water has practically no minerals... 2° GH so, I've gotta add minerals back into some of my tanks ~ depending on inhabitants
About 75% of the US has enough stuff in their water to allow you to add about 10-20% tap to RO and still register GH higher than you have.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am currently giving a medicine to some fish in a hospital tank and my vet says to not treat my tap water with Prime just incase it would interact with the med. She said it is completely safe to do. Is this unheard of? This treatment requires daily water changes of 50% before redosing.
As long as your tap water has no chlorine and the parameters are good. I'm lucky enough to have very good water (well water) and no need to chlorinate. I don't use prime unless I get a spike of some kind. There could be interaction with meds and water conditioners.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom