Vet Says To Use Untreated Tap Water?

jojomo91

Well Known
Member
Messages
590
Reaction score
226
Location
New Jersey
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am currently giving a medicine to some fish in a hospital tank and my vet says to not treat my tap water with Prime just incase it would interact with the med. She said it is completely safe to do. Is this unheard of? This treatment requires daily water changes of 50% before redosing.
 

Oarngesi

Active Member
Member
Messages
182
Reaction score
41
Experience
Just started
Does you water have chlorine? Maybe guy some 5gal buckets and let the water stay out over night to get rid of the chlorine
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
jojomo91

jojomo91

Well Known
Member
Messages
590
Reaction score
226
Location
New Jersey
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oarngesi said:
Does you water have chlorine? Maybe guy some 5gal buckets and let the water stay out over night to get rid of the chlorine
I would assume so? No way of testing chlorine, chloramines ect.
 

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,921
Reaction score
2,993
Location
NJ
Experience
2 years
I get that it could react, but if your water has chlorine/chloramines in it I wouldn't....
Assuming it's a smallish qt tank? I would set out the water in buckets before and treat it, usually any meds or anything else that can be negated by prime is safe to dose 24hrs after prime... if you fill the buckets you can do your wc, then refill and treat, rinse and repeat....
 

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,139
Reaction score
5,008
Location
Canada
Experience
More than 10 years
I would assume the vet knows both the med and the water. I wonder if the binder in Prime is what causes the concern.
If you have chloramines, it could be dicey, but possibly what you are treating for is worse. My water has simple chlorine, and I haven't used a dechlorinator on a regular weekly water change in years. If you go up around 50% water changes, that is the edge of safe. I usually stay around 30% (and dechlorinate if I go more).
If you have well water, you never need Prime.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
jojomo91

jojomo91

Well Known
Member
Messages
590
Reaction score
226
Location
New Jersey
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah I'm really unsure what to do. I suppose do what the vet says!
 

JamieXPXP

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,647
Reaction score
1,543
Location
Ontario
Experience
More than 10 years
I think it would be even more harmful to not treat the water. many people treat their water while using meds with no issues
 

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,139
Reaction score
5,008
Location
Canada
Experience
More than 10 years
JamieXPXP said:
I think it would be even more harmful to not treat the water. many people treat their water while using meds with no issues
We have no idea what the med is, or whether the OP has chloramines. Without that info, we're guessing.
The vet isn't.
As well, there are water treatments without binders. Prime could be the problem, in ways that other treatments wouldn't be. If the OP only asked about Prime, I could see a vet taking a quick look at the website, knowing the med, and saying not to use the product. Or not. With luck, the vet's an aquarist and knows his/her local water.
 

JamieXPXP

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,647
Reaction score
1,543
Location
Ontario
Experience
More than 10 years
NavigatorBlack said:
We have no idea what the med is, or whether the OP has chloramines. Without that info, we're guessing.
The vet isn't.
true
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
jojomo91

jojomo91

Well Known
Member
Messages
590
Reaction score
226
Location
New Jersey
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oxytetracycline. She said to use Prime is it makes me comfortable but recommends against it bc of possible reaction.

My tap is 1-2ppm Ammonia I know that off the top of my head so I can't use nothing. Maybe another product?
 

_IceFyre_

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,558
Reaction score
937
Experience
4 years
I have no idea if your vet knows their stuff when it comes to fish or not, but keep in mind that most vets don't have fish amoung their regular patients.

I personally think the almost guaranteed risks of ammonia on your fish are greater than a possible reaction. If you decide to go ahead without prime, I reccomend leaving the water out overnight first, this allows chloramines (but not chlorine) to evaporate if I remember correctly.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14
OP
jojomo91

jojomo91

Well Known
Member
Messages
590
Reaction score
226
Location
New Jersey
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm going to use a a dechlorinator regardless. Not sure which but I'll use one.
 

California L33

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,762
Reaction score
1,018
Location
California
Experience
5 to 10 years
jojomo91 said:
Oxytetracycline. She said to use Prime is it makes me comfortable but recommends against it bc of possible reaction.

My tap is 1-2ppm Ammonia I know that off the top of my head so I can't use nothing. Maybe another product?
Why not ask if Prime can be used with antibiotics over on the Seachem forum? You'd think they would know. Or you can use the 'ask a question' feature at the Prime webpage. Seachem - Prime

Does your vet know your water is 1-2ppm ammonia? If she's responsible and educated I doubt she'd advise you put fish in that, and she may have an alternative solution. You can also call your water company and find out how the water is treated. If it's chlorine it'll evaporate in a few days if left in an open container. If it's chloromine that won't work. You could also figure it out yourself with test strips that measure chlorine, though ammonia will be your biggest problem.

My personal experience with antibiotics and Prime- no interaction, at least none that prevented the antibiotics from working. However it was NeoPlex (Neomycine), not Oxytertracycline, so this may be a comparison of apples and oranges.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16
OP
jojomo91

jojomo91

Well Known
Member
Messages
590
Reaction score
226
Location
New Jersey
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm not sure what's going on now.

I guess I need to do some thinking.
 

Mushishi

Well Known
Member
Messages
581
Reaction score
196
Location
Madison WI
Experience
1 year
I am finding no adverse reactions between any of the ingredients of either Oxytetracycline and Prime. The only noted interaction with Oxytetracycline is penicillin, which of course you won't be putting in your tank. The damage chlorine can cause to your fish isn't little so I REALLY don't advise using untreated water. It will only kill your fish faster. I am no vet, nor chemist, but I have been reading this since you posted and NOTHING is popping up as a red flag.
 

Susiefoo

Well Known
Member
Messages
792
Reaction score
537
Location
UK
Experience
1 year
Can you get some bottled water? It would solve the ammonia problem and the dechlorinator dilemma. It might be cost prohibitive for regular use in your big tank but for a small hospital tank you wouldn't need too much.

I have to say, the way your vet phrased it - "use it if it makes you feel comfortable" "recommends against it because of a possible reaction" - suggests to me she does not know for sure if it does or does not interact. And possibly does not fully realise the implications of chlorine and 2ppm ammonia on fish. (I'm a hospital doc and know hedging phrasing when I hear it. It's no criticism of your vet - as a previous poster pointed out, most are not aquatic specialists and rarely see fish). I would second the advice to check directly with Seachem who will know their own products inside out.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #19
OP
jojomo91

jojomo91

Well Known
Member
Messages
590
Reaction score
226
Location
New Jersey
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes I totally can't afford bottled water even just for this treatment. I have to do 50-75% WCs in a 30 gal ten times.

I have never done a water test the day after a WC, I really need to do that tonight to see how quickly my filter gets me to 0 ammonia.
 

Susiefoo

Well Known
Member
Messages
792
Reaction score
537
Location
UK
Experience
1 year
Fair enough, that's a lot of water.

I would contact Seachem then.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
247
Guests online
3,212
Total visitors
3,459

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom