Vet Insurance for Fish

Lilthuglet

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi All,

I am going to pick up a tank today! I'm planning to create a nano aquascape, plants only initially, once it is cycling and stable get some shrimp/snails for cleanup crew, then once that is all stable and working properly, add some little fish.

One of the things I want to do before I get any critters though, is find a fish/invertibrate friendly vet (Essex, UK if anyone has any suggestions) and following that train of thought, insurance. Do I need it?

I'm not particularly concerned about insuring against loss/theft/death, I'll be going for tiny cold water fish and usually prefer the less dramatic looking ones so the value of the fish won't really be in money. It's more vets bills, I have some savings but I'd rather be sure that I can get them the help they need if they need it. Am I overthinking it? or should I get some? and does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could get reasonably priced pet insurance for fishes?

Thanks
L

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not many vets have knowledge of fish.

You would be much better off in every way if you follow the advice on here regarding keeping fish.

Also, come here if, depite having followed the methods advocated on here, you still end up with a problem. It will most likely have been dealt with many times before by members of this forum.

My feelings about insurance are.
1. Don't pay for insurance for something you could reasonably cover yourself.
2. Save some money to cover yourself for the things you could reasonably cover.
3. Don't give way more of your money to pay for advertising, salaries and profits for the insurance industry.
4. Only cover for things that you could not reasonably pay for e.g. in case your house burns down or you mistakenly make an accident in your car and millions are needed to provide lifetime care for an injured party.

I'm only posting here because I noticed that you were born on the day I started my first permanent job, having had only contract work in the previous years.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Redshark1 said:
Not many vets have knowledge of fish.

You would be much better off in every way if you follow the advice on here regarding keeping fish.

Also, come here if, depite having followed the methods advocated on here, you still end up with a problem. It will most likely have been dealt with many times before by members of this forum.

My feelings about insurance are.
1. Don't pay for insurance for something you could reasonably cover yourself.
2. Save some money to cover yourself for the things you could reasonably cover.
3. Don't give way more of your money to pay for advertising, salaries and profits for the insurance industry.
4. Only cover for things that you could not reasonably pay for e.g. in case your house burns down or you mistakenly make an accident in your car and millions are needed to provide lifetime care for an injured party.

I'm only posting here because I noticed that you were born on the day I started my first permanent job, having had only contract work in the previous years.
Hey as an independent insurance agent I say ...................................you're completely right !!!!

Only insure what you can't bear yourself.
Don't let fear make you decide to do so.
BTW : I never insured one of my pets, but in case of.my recent Labrador the insurancecompany would have gone broke
Now my vet is the one that benefits. Think I payed for his car and part of his house.

OP
Lilthuglet

Lilthuglet

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the feedback :) I shall put a bit into savings each month instead.

New Threads