Very Worried

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
I am very worried about Mr. Red right now. He hasn't been acting right the last 4 days. The last 2 days plus this morning so, really 2 1/2 days he hasn't been eating much at all. He'll eat 2 or 3 bites of something and then just stop. He's also just floating at the top of his tank. He's usually all over his tank. Kind of like how you described what Marty was doing just before he died, Rose. I was observing him very closely last night before lights out and he came up to me and was looking at. Every couple of seconds his body would shudder. Almost like he was having a seizure. I can't seem to figure out what's wrong with him. he was doing so good and then all of a sudden this all started up. I checked his water first thing this morning and everything is at 0.I bought Maracyn 2 yesterday to put in his tank this weekend because his fins are starting to have fin rot again,but I think it's bacterial because it keeps coming back. It'll go away and then come back. I don't think that's what causing him not to eat and act this way though. I was thinking of doing a water change tonight and putting the maracyn in tonight just in case it is the problem and see how it goes. Does anyone know why he is doing this? I mainly concerned about his shaking or shuddering. Natalie

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this, Natalie.  Mr. Red sounds like he's doing something similar to GB way back when.  GB didn't seem to have anything resembling seizure activity, but his movements (when he did move) were what I would call darting.  The real similarity is in the floating.  Assuming constipation, I gave GB a frozen pea treat.  He started showing improvement in a short time (real improvement took about 12 hours, though).  I wish you and Mr. Red the best, we'll have you in our thoughts and prayers.

Mike

OP
N

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
Thanks Mike. I don't think that he is constipated. I give him pea treats twice a week. How is Gb doing by the way with his velvet illness? Natalie

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
Sorry I can't offer any further advice about Mr. Red, Natalie.  My level of expertise when a problem arises can be found in the two remedies I have under my wing and will try immediately: water change and frozen green pea.  That the latter worked so well with GB, I think of it as a magic bullet.  Though I suspected you already had the water parameters under control and probably already did the frozen pea thing with Mr. Red, I threw it out there anyway as a possible remedy.

GB seems to be doing well.  He's still in the dark but gets some exposure during water changes and feeding times.  He looks much better and is pretty active.  And he's eating as he always did.  We still have a few more days to keep him in the dark.  I was thinking of starting a new thread here in a day or so (which is why I've not updated the old thread) to post a question or two.

I hope you can get Mr. Red's condition settled.  It's really anxiety-provoking when these Bettas of ours start to act in ways they shouldn't be acting.

Mike

OP
N

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
I am very glad to hear that GB is doing better. I look forward to your update about him. Thank you for your concern and help. I do appreciate it. Natalie

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
Natalie,

Out of curiosity, I googled "bettas, shaking" and came up with some results that may or may not be of interest to you.  Though nothing definitive came from the relatively short time I looked, there were advisements ranging from tank water temps to minimizing aquarium salt to bacterial infections that may cause shimmying in a variety of fish species.

Thought I'd pass it along.

Mike

AesSedai

Reaction score
((Natalie and Mr. Red))

I'll have Mr. Red in my thoughts Natalie. I hope that whatever's going on with him isn't serious!

OP
N

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
Thank you for your thoughts Aesedai. I too am hoping that it's not serious. I'm going to do a water change tonight and put a maracyn 2 tab in. It might just be a bacterial infection for his fin rot.At least I'm crossing my fingers that that is all it is. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Natalie,

Marty floated for a LONG time before he gave up and died. He had never been really right since the Melafix/Pimafix thing and at the end had lost a lot of his color and even a lot of his scales and was a pretty miserable looking fish. I do not believe that Mr. Red is having the same thing by any means if that helps to alleviate the worry that you have. I do think however, that due to the problems Mr. Red had with Melafix and all that you are going to have to be very careful medicating him and if he shows any signs of upset you will have to do a water change and get the meds out of the tank right away. With the possible compromise of the Labyrinth organ even a little bit, he may never be able to handle the level of medications that a lot of other fish could. You may even have to do like owners of Tetras do and put the meds in at half dosages if he has a problem...it would be worth a try if he really needs them. Go ahead and put the Maracyn in the tank but only one medication at a time (don't mix anything) and if he has a problem try changing out 50% of the water and if that does not make him stop his reaction then putting the carbon back in the filter and removing the meds is all you can do. I am going to say a long prayer that he can have at least one course of Maracyn but I do not think I would give him two without some breather.

I will have you both in my thoughts a lot believe me. PLEASE keep us informed of how he is doing. I do feel very close to him because of the problems our little ones have shared.

Rose

AesSedai

Reaction score
Natalie, this is probably a stupid idea/thought....

Do you have a second thermometer with which to test Mr. Red's tank water temp with?  Thermometers do malfunction (I keep two in Zen's tank).

It just seems like Mr. Red is sorta acting like a Betta in water that's too cold (I'm probably wrong but had to share this thought)

Namaste
Karyn

OP
N

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
OK, thanks Rose. I am in the process of  getting ready to do his water change right now and put the med in his tank. I can only pray that it works. Last night when I was observing my heart really sank. I layed in bed for 2 hours with the sinking feeling that he was going to die.I layed there silently crying and praying at the same time that he be OK. Thank you so much for your prayers Rose. My heart went out to you when you announced that Marty had passed away. I was so sad and then when I discovered Mr. Red all I could think of was these poor fish. We try so hard to make them happy and healthy and live long prosperous lives and thought that we were doing the right thing by medicating them. Little did we know we were hurting them instead. Hopefully Mr. Red will pull through this. I had a feeling that it may have been from the melafix damaging his labyrinth a little and he will probably always have this problem if I can't do anything about it. Although we don't know for sure if it is the problem.  We will have to see what happens after his first course of medication. I will definitely keep everyone posted. Thanks again for everyones generous thoughts and prayers. Natalie

OP
N

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
no, I don't have a second thermometor. I have his heater set at 33 for the fin rot and regenerating of his tail. According to the thermometor it's at 83. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is your thermometer one of the glass ones that float? They are very accurate and always give a good accurate reading. The digital ones are the ones that are sometimes accurate +/- 1 degree or more. Even if your water is a degree cooler than the 83 it says it should be plenty warm for the medication to work fine. The only thing that a temperature of this level could be a problem with is low oxygen levels. If you have a valve on the airstone you may want to give the bubbles just a small increase. (not enough to make the bubbling fierce but some surface movement is okay) It will just make him a little more comfortable.

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have to disagree about glass thermometers being super accurate...I have seen certain brands at the store in which some thermometers are 4 degrees off from others. However, I doubt there is a malfunction to the point where you actually have cold water...

OP
N

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
In my last post about the thermometer I said the heater was set at 33. I meant to say 83. I have an airstone in and the bubbles are just the right strength to ripple the water w/o bothering him too much. Rose- to answer your question about the type. I have the Glass floating thermometer with the mercury or whatever it is that's in it. It's not digital.

I really thought I was going to lose him last night. I did a small water change before I put the maracyn 2 in so that I don't have to do it on Saturday and then I would have start all over with the medicine. This way it's not being disturbed. Afterwards though he wasn't doing good at all. I barely ate anything for dinner last night and was wobbling around a lot. I was really expecting him to be dead this morning, but crossing my fingers that he wouldn't be. He was still alive this morning laying at the bottom of the tank. He didn't come out for his food for a few minutes, but I think he got a couple bites of it. I'm just glad he's still alive. Natalie

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
It's good to hear Mr. Red is still with us and ate something this morning.  Can you tell if he's doing any better?

Mike

AesSedai

Reaction score
Oh ((Natalie))

I feel for you so much hun.  There's nothing worse than that vigil that you're experiencing...wondering if Mr. Red will still be here in the morning  

"You" were wobbling or did you mean Mr. Red?  You didn't eat last night.  Be careful if it was you wobbling Dear One.  If your blood sugar gets too low, you'll get more and more dizzy.  Try and eat something today?  

Mr. Red and you are both in my thoughts GREATLY.  

Rose suggested that if Mr. Red doesn't seem to be taking the medicine well to do a water change I think.  How is he taking the medicine?  Are you able to stay home with him or do you have to work?

OP
N

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
Lol LOl Lol I'm so terrible at typing. I meant to say that he barely ate anything last night for dinner and HE was very wobbly. Unfortunately I can't stay home with him. I have to work. I'm a nanny, so I really can't take many days off. I do have sick days, but I'd rather not take them unless I'm on my death bed or I have an emergency to attend to. As far as his reacting to the medication I think it's too soon to tell. I just put it in at 8 last night. So I'll give it another day after I put another 1/2 tablet in tonight and see how he is doing. Thank you thinking of us. We both appreciate everyones kindness. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am so glad to hear that he is eating something even if it is not much, I would not get really worried unless he quits all together.

By tonight you should know if he is going to have an adverse reaction to the medication but probably won't know about whether it is going to help until the is almost through the course of the medication.

Of course, we all think of you! This is a very close community and we all work together and play together. When one of us is happy or sad I am so proud to say the others are right in there sharing the emotion. I have been very proud of the members of this Betta Board always.

Rose

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom