Very weird please read

surfer

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi, I looked in my tank today and i find a small snail live its impossible thuogh. All i have in the tank s a rubby nose pleco and a zebr5a pleco. Can anyone explain how this got in my tank and should i be worried. PLease help

Hi, I looked in my tank today and i find a small snail live its impossible thuogh. All i have in the tank s a rubby nose pleco and a zebr5a pleco. Can anyone explain how this got in my tank and should i be worried. PLease help
ive found another baby snail whats going on???

Merged back to back posts.
Thanks!
Ken

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi surfer, Welcome to fishlore! The snails could have been introduced to your tank if you added plants. Most plants have snail eggs on them when you buy them from the petstore.

surfer

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hi, ive bought a drivtwood withy a plant a while ago prolly like 2 months ago how could i be seeing them now. I didnt see any snail eggs on the leaves. Will i have a problem now i dont want them?

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to fishlore!

The snail probably came in with your fish or if yo have live plants then it is a very good possibility the snail came in on those. he might have been very small even an egg when you first got the other fish and has now grown. You should check for more because they will most likely reproduce quickly if there are more. If there are then remove the snails, unless of course you want the snails.

surfer

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i have the bushy nose pleco these snails will eat all the algae n the pleco would die. wow this sucks. Do angelfish eat snails i have zebra danio in there now any fish i can put in there that can eat the snails. Or should i just vacumn the snails up?

i see 4 snails now wow.

Ken

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You have a zebra pleco?

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You should provide the plecos with a algae wafers to supplement their diet anyway and if the snails cut the algae down then just add more wafers. I would just try removing the snails by hand or vacuum. I really can't suggest any fish to you without knowing your tank size and fish already in it, however loachs will eat snails but I don't know if these would be good for your tank until I get more info on your tank. Try filling out your aquarium info under the "My settings" tab above

surfer

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
no danio i wish zebra pleco. i have an albino bushy nose pleco

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Don't freak out yet! There is pros and cons to snails. How big is your tank? And what all do you have in it? and yes you can vacum up the snails/eggs. But there will be more then you can see.

surfer

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
check now i see it from here now

chec now

Ken

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would recommend trying to take them out by hand first and then after about a week if you are not having any luck you could try a small type of loach such as the zebra, skunk, polka-dot, or the yoyo loach. get the loaches only as a last resort since your tank is a little small for them and if you do get them be sure to get 3 of them since they like to be in groups. Again I would only recommend the loaches as a last resort and you really should try getting the snails out by hand or vacuum.

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OK, you can continue to vacum the eggs sacks up/ clean off plants if any. Your tank is to small for a clown loach, a weather loach might be a better option. Not sure how your plecos would respond. My Algae eaters took several days to get along with my loach. Your plecos will not starve because of the snails. Keep feeding algae waffer or algae crisp. The snails can help out your tank as long as you don't over feed your fish.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
depends on how much algae is already in your tank. If there is a good amount in the tank then you don't need to give any till it becomes low then maybe one every 3 days then if levels in tank keep going down then every 2 days and if there isn't any left then 1 a day. This of course depends on how much your pleco eats, if he has not eaten the waffer don't give him another. The waffer is meant to make sure that he keeps getting a source of algae.

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Calm down a bit, we're glad you want to be pro active about this stuff, but snails aren't the end of the world. Do the snails get to your algae waffers befor the pleco does, didn't think so. Just don't make the mistake and over feed your plecos. Keep us posted on snail pop... going to bed, I'll check out your thread in the morning.

surfer

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
its like 2-3 inches. its albino bushy pleco. they only get up to lik 5 inches. theres no algae left that i can see.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom