VERY weird fish poo...

image_image

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
VERY weird fish poo... (Edited)

Sooo *rocks on heels* my female molly just had this odd earwax colored substance pop out of her bum. It was a hollow tubular shaped specimen about 1/8 of an inch in diameter. And since it's expulsion, she's been swimming like a mad woman... This doesn't look like normal fish poop. She's been only eating flakes. What could this substance be?

Also, she has been acting unlike her frisky self. She usually takes down at feeding time, and hasn't been so interested, though she does eat much less than before. I thought her bloated body was due to constipation, but she has been able to poop and is still very bloated. Her gills look a little red, so I tested the ammonia & it was a little over 0ppm, but the liquid seemed not quite the color matching .25ppm. I decided to do 2 water changes today, and since yesterday I reduced their feedings from twice daily to once in hopes that helps the water and hopefully that will clear up her gills. She's also be increasingly lethargic. But the water conditions have been so unstable, I wouldn't doubt if they're just not doing well anymore.

She is housed with a male balloon molly as well, who seems to be eating less as usual, but his gills don't appear red at all, and that's the only change. I do not assume she is pregnant. Mostly because I've read they won't breed if they're not in the correct water conditions. (Is this true? Could she be about to give birth?) This weekend I am purchasing a 20 gallon. tank for the fish... I hope whatever Nanny's problem is, she can hold out until she's in a bigger tank.

I'm mostly concerned about what her poop looked like... I only feed them flakes, and this was MUCH larger in diameter than the normal fish poop... and didn't come out in a string...

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fish can live in a wide range of water conditions if they're given time to adapt, so I wouldn't use pH or water hardness as a form of "population control.". . All you need for livebearers to get mate is water so it's entirely possible and most likely probable that she is pregnant. I've never seen aborted Molly fry/eggs, but maybe that's what you saw. Hopefully someone else who has seen them will chime in.

Mollies need more than just flakes in their diet--many fish do. Feeding shelled, chopped green peas is great and is a quick fix for constipation. All my fish, fry included, get green peas every other night. They all go nuts over them. I also offer them nori, the seaweed used to make sushi. I would like to give them blanched spinach and zucchini but I keep forgetting to pick some up at the store.

I'd say keep an eye on her and have a plan if you want to keep the fry if she does give birth.

Y'know, if you could post a pic of her maybe someone could tell if she's pregnant.

-Lisa

image_image

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Kunsthure said:
Mollies need more than just flakes in their diet--many fish do. Feeding shelled, chopped green peas is great and is a quick fix for constipation. All my fish, fry included, get green peas every other night. They all go nuts over them. I also offer them nori, the seaweed used to make sushi. I would like to give them blanched spinach and zucchini but I keep forgetting to pick some up at the store.

Y'know, if you could post a pic of her maybe someone could tell if she's pregnant.

-Lisa
Thanks Lisa!

I've tried feeding them peas, but they don't take interest. When I get a bigger tank this weekend, it will be easier to keep an eye on their water & once they're settled in their new home I'm going to try the peas again. Right now they sit at the bottom and muck up the water. I'm having my boyfriend pick up some nori when he heads into Chinatown tomorrow. I tried feeding them betta pellets (the guy at the pet store said they would eat them.) So the other night I popped 2 in there, but one of the fish got it stuck in his mouth... They're not allowed to have them anymore hahaha

Perhaps it was an aborted fry. If so, it was severely disfigured. Like, didn't look fry-like at all.

Oh, and, do balloon mollies have gravid spots? This fish was pregnant when I bought her a few months ago... And I didn't notice any dark spots on her. I don't see any dark spots on her now, either & she is solid white.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've never owned balloon mollies so I can't say for sure, but I know not all fish get them. My platy and Molly moms didn't get them--I just woke up to fry one morning.

-Lisa

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads