Very Small Moving Specks In Empty Tank Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ome8217, Apr 17, 2019.

1. ome8217New MemberMember

Hi!

So for context, I have a 5 gallon tank in which I haven't placed any fish yet. It's been set up for about a month with a filter, heater, and sand in place, but I haven't had the time, money, or energy to start cycling it until now, so I just left it running since I didn't think it'd hurt anything. I'd been continuing to shift around the sand and do minimal water changes just to avoid things getting too dirty in the tank.

A bit after putting the chemicals in my tank today, bacteria and an ammonia mix to feed them, I noticed some specks (that look an awful lot like sand) moving around my aquarium. I haven't placed any sort of life in my tank at all, and had bleached the tank and everything in it when I had to reset it after my last fish passed away (which included buying a whole new filtration system and thermometer even because I was that worried about spreading any virus/infection the fish that passed away may have had).

I'm really unsure what they could be. They're almost too small to see, but the best description I can offer is they look like grains of sand with semi-translucent bodies. They're not sand because they kind of freely move around the tank, hanging out at the bottom and sometimes drifting to the top. I don't have easy access to a microscope, but if there's anyone with a general idea of what could potentially be in my tank, that'd be much appreciated.

2. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Ostracods? Cyclops/Copepods? Nematodes?

3. ome8217New MemberMember

Do you think those kinds of things could've just. Gotten into my tank when I haven't really been doing anything to it though? I haven't put anything living in there and had washed the sands as well as I possibly could before putting it in.

4. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Nematodes yes, everything else would be brought in from water from outside or plants.