Very sick Pleco

1. whisper Well Known Member Member

This is my 8" pleco. His fins and tail fins look really bad. All water is good. How can I safely treat him? I know some meds are not good for cat fish. What would be the best thing?

[​IMG]

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Can you give more info about water parameters, tankmates, etc.?
    Filling out the aquarium info would be helpful. It's hard to know how to treat without knowing the cause first.

I'm really sorry he's not well. Poor thing!

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Whisper, I'm not really good with meds, but I'll be sending you both get-well fishie wishes.

It almost looks like someone tried to snack on him. Who are his tankmates?

4. whisper Well Known Member Member

He was in with guppies and a juvie albino bristlenose pleco. I never saw anything picking on him. I have moved him to a quarentine tank with just new born guppies. I put a tiny bit of salt in that tank. Don't know if that will help him or hurt him.

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

wow he really looks like someone got him good...im so sorry :(
    I wouldnt use salt id use stress coat + with daily partial water changes....with the fish you had him with, they shouldnt have done that much damage ...what size tank was he in? and what were the readings? high ammonia can cause that as it will make a fish deteriorate fast.....I hope he gets better! he has an amazing cute face....good luck!

6. whisper Well Known Member Member

I keep a close watch on the ammonia levels. He and his 9" buddy where raised in my outdoor Koi pond during the summer. I brought both of them in for the winter. They are now in the tanks at my store. Each tank is 20gals. x 9 tanks. The sump filtering system on all are connected so all water circulates through all of the tank. His buddy and all other fish are fine. He is now in the quarentine tank.

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

did he come in from the pond like that?

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Clean water, Stress Coat and maybe some VitaChem. Could he have torn them on tank decorations? I don't see anything in there (unless his 9" buddy got him) that would have hurt him. I don't think he will appreciate the salt too much :) as it is an irritant and may cause his problem to be worse instead of better. How big is the quarantine tank ? Best of luck and keep us posted.
    Carol

9. whisper Well Known Member Member

He's not in the same tank as his buddy. The water is good and I use Stress Coat with every water change.

10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

well if your water is good, and nothing got him, im not really sure what happened..but its evident that he was nipped on or got stuck in something......stress coat+ is needed as he really needs that extra aloe..and vita chem would be a bonus....good luck with him

11. whisper Well Known Member Member

Ok I'll try extra Stress Coat....... Will that much hurt the new born guppies?