Very Sick Oranda

1. Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

My oranda is very sick. I checked my levels and found my nitrates had skyrocketed. Ammonia and nitrites both good. I did about 40% water change and retested and found the same results. So I took my water to the lfs and he checked it and got 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and about 30 for nitrates. I don't know why my tests were off, if the nitrates were really ever high or what the???? But my fish is definitely sick. Does anyone recognize the illness and/or know what I can do for him? He looks so miserable :( 0715172050-1.jpg He's in a 30 gallon tank with a black moor. Aqua clear 40 to 70 filter. Right now I have an additional kit filter and 2 bubblers going to help with oxygen for his illness tho I have no idea what he needs.

1st test

2nd test

I watched the store owner do his test and the water was definitely orange. Not red. But my fish is way sick regardless.
  2. toolman Well Known Member Member

If you're shaking the bottle for the nitrate test enough, I would be worried about the results from your lfs. How did they test your water?

3. tunafax Well Known Member Member

30 is bad! Not deathly bad, but enough to cramp his fins like that. Poor sweetie. Good thing you tested. Do a 70% water change. If you can't - do you have a temporary plastic tote to put the fish in? Something like a 15g rubbermaid would do - but only if he is literally dying and this is an emergency - take 30% tank water so you don't shock him with low nitrates, 70% new water, and keep him in there. Transfer the filters.

Do you have carbon in your filter? How is the black moor doing? How long have you had him, and how old is the cycle in your tank? Describe his lethargy levels; what is he doing?

To avoid issues with nitrates in the future, get a pothos plant. Rinse the roots VERY well and stick it in your filter (otherwise the fish will eat it). Your nitrates will clear right up within a week or two, depending on the size of the roots.
  4. Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

He used the same liquid test I did. I was actually texting the owner about my fish and he said
    "Can you take the water to the shop to test,the nitrate test doesn't make sense"

And it really doesn't. Does it? Would the nitrates skyrocket like that without the ammonia or nitrites being affected at all? And would a 40% water change really affect no change? I don't know enough about nitrates but I do agree agree that it seems odd. But even if the results were right. . . or wrong, what can I do for my poor fish?

5. toolman Well Known Member Member

Do a water change as tunafax suggested, I believe your nitrates are high. 30 gallons is pretty small for the fish you have, and I believe your bacteria was able to handle the waste they produced without you seeing ammonia or nitrites.
  6. Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

Hi tunafax. Thank you for replying. The black moor (abed) seems fine. The tank is 3 years old. Professor Utonium is new. He isn't swimming. He tries but he can't direct himself. I have some serious current because the pet store recommended more surface noise to help him oxygenate. He's floating in some plants. Abed has a little trouble swimming with all the current but manages.
  7. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Red streaks can be a sign of dirty water and ammonia poisoning, but if your ammonia levels are fine, this sounds like hemorrhagic septicemia. which is a bacterial disease. Some fish in advanced stages will show hemorrhaging around the eyes and gills and loss of appetite, but I've heard of milder versions of septicemia too, that don't come on as quickly. Most cases are coupled with lethargia, so you should watch for sluggish behaviour in your fish. Imo the red streaks really do indicate septicemia.

Hemorrhagic septicemia is a very serious disease, and can progress quite quickly, a broad spectrum anti-biotic should be given and daily water changes.

8. Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

The tank was my nieces but she left it with me when she went to college. She had a pleco with abed. I moved the pleco to my tropical tank and added the oranda. Should I move the fish to a tote? My largest tote is 18 gallons but the tank is 30 so not sure that would be better. I can do a large water change if that's what's in order. I had read somewhere that smaller changes more frequently was better for nitrates but like I said. I really don't know. Relying on others

That is what lfs said. I couldn't remember the disease he named. It's something that would affect one fish but not the other?
  9. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Its called hemorrhagic septicemia its more of an infection then an actual diseases because it can be caused by so many different diseases which are internal , that's why a broad spectrum anti-biotic is best, It can be contagious depending on what exactly is causing the hemorrhagic septicemia.

First step is to check ammonia which you stated is 0 , so it has to be something internal causing it.

IMO nothing to do with nitrates, their not high enough to cause that, but I do recommend getting them under 20ppm.
  10. Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

I have 4 pathos hanging outside. But rather large. Do you mean The house plant or is there an aquatic variety. The roots do it? Could I section out a a bit? Also here's my filter. Will it work there? 1500182084190550142100.jpg

11. toolman Well Known Member Member

The nitrate reduction is the same (theoretically) as the % of water changed so 10% water change only reduces nitrates 10%. IMHO (and the opinion of many others on this and other forums) large water changes are fine if warranted. I even know aquarists who routinely change 75% or more every week.
  12. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

adding plants wont solve the issue with your oranda , you need to get a broad spectrum anti-biotic and do large daily water changes. Your nitrates are not at the point of death , yes their high but not high enough to cause that with your oranda that is something internal causing the hemorrhagic.
  13. Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

So should I do another change tonight? And get antibiotics in the morning?
    Never mind. Got it above
  14. toolman Well Known Member Member

Yes, the same plant. Dang my Aquaclears never looked that clean, of course I'm a grandfather (old) so I probably just don't remember. Lol
  15. Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

I just washed it in my last water change water. ;) That's ok right? Was in the siphoned water, no tap
  16. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

you can if you want don't forgot to de-clhorinate the water you add in.

and yes the sooner you buy the meds the better, and treat your oranda.
  17. Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

This one should make you feel better @toolman 15001828217671858791218.jpg

Thank you so much friends
  18. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

its completely fine to wash your filter media in aquarium water just don't wash it in tap water.
  19. toolman Well Known Member Member

I have to much other work to be that thorough, but then I also have 6of those and a canister. Yeah your good using siphoned water. Not familiar with the disease, listen to what they tell you. Hope we helped.
  20. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

also try looking for a medication with the active ingredient Tetracycline.