Very Sick Oranda! Situation Worsening

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by lovemyorandas, Jul 16, 2015.

1. l

lovemyorandas New Member Member

My mom has a 270 gallon reflecting pool in her back yard (with a fountain two filters, one of which is attached to a UV light). There are no plants in the pool. She has kept orandas for years and is cleans the water regularly. Currently she has four orandas. She bought Maybe on 06May2015 from Petsmart and introduced her into the pool without any issues. Recently, the pool had been treated when one of the other fish Fatso had white spots (ich?); he has been healthy for a few weeks now (about two).

About 10 days ago there were two black spots on Maybe's face, one of which developed into a large crack under her right eye on 11Jul2015 which is about 1/4-1/2" long. Attached is a picture where you can see the crack:

Maybe_11Jul2015.jpg

The situation got much, much worse this morning (all black and white spots and raw under her right eye (looks like it is being eaten away and very raw).

Maybe was lethargic this morning, but she is swimming around acting normal now, not rubbing her head on the sides or bottom of the tank.

- 80% of the water was changed Sunday. My mom had the old and the new water tested (pH, ammonia, nitrates, salinity, everything). The pool was then medicated--after the water was changed--with Melafix (before water change and after). She turned off the UV light when she began medicating the water.

- All other fish appear to be okay. There are no spots on other fish and they are acting normal.

- Maybe was separated this morning when my mom saw her condition, with the same pool water into a about 5 gallon fish tank equipped with aerator (mom added a little more Melafix and some stress coat). Unfortunately that is the biggest container we have in the house.

- Food is sinking food

Is this hole in the head, a parasite, a bacterial infection[​IMG] How can we fix this? Since the container is too small for an oranda, is there anything else we can do? We are beside ourselves!

Attached are photos that were taken today (16Jul2015) showing the black spots on top of Maybe's wen and then the raw patch under her right eye:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Claire Bear

Claire Bear Well Known Member Member

Hi and welcome.
    I think I would use something a little stronger given the size of the damage. I would also perhaps use a tuperware or some other larger container and then treat with kanaplex. This will require several days of treatment and I would also add an airstone to what ever container you use.
    Good luck and sorry for your fish issue.

3. OP
    OP
    l

lovemyorandas New Member Member

thank you for the welcome, this is a great forum! any guesses as to what this could be?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Hello, sorry to say, it looks like cancer to me :( this would be worse case scenario.

I would try treating with a product called Bio Bandage by Hikary in the case it's a bad ulceration. Best of luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice