Very Sick Cory. Crushed Head?

fishlover25

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have had this cory for a week. Everything was fine up until about 2 days ago I would think. While checking on my fish this morning, I noticed that one of my cory had what appears to be white fungus on one eye. Upon further inspection, it appears has if his head was crushed. Kind of like when you break an egg shell. I have never seen this. Water is good with no ammonia or nitrite. No aggressive fish that could have done this to it. I can only think that he came sick from the store. Is there anything I can do to save it?
027533156a5f26dce9519004f70beff9.jpg
c94c17acfca4a2ef24577757b2457575.jpg
91e8c1e249b91ba7f45bdd306e99de1c.jpg
38f7463b7a9ea2552611b849c38fe661.jpg

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Is his head actually flattened or does it just look that way because it's white on one side? Any decor he could have wiggled under or had fall on him?

fishlover25

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I can't really tell. The part of the head that is whiter does make it appear as if it is crushed a little bit. There are caves both fake and from driftwood but they are all on there secure. No way the cory could have moved it.

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Any tight spaces inside it may have squeezed into? A lot of the newer decorations I find have sharp edges and dangerous traps inside.

fishlover25

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'll take a look and see if I can find something that could have done that. Anything I can do for it? Can it be rescued?

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would possibly put it in a quarantine tank/container by itself and do daily water changes on it. You might consider adding something healing and soothing to the water like tannins but not knowing what this is exactly I would be hesitant to start throwing actual medications at it. Unless someone like @CindiL comes along and recognizes it. I think it's just an opportunistic infection that's taken hold in an injury. Probably bacterial.

pumpernickel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That looks like a pretty nasty infection, although it is difficult to tell if it is bacterial or fungal. You could try a broad range treatment since it has taken hold of a critical area (the face). His eyes look sunken in, too, so he may not be eating properly, which may hinder his ability to fight the infection. It almost looks like lateral line erosion, but that is pretty unusual in freshwater fish.... My bet is on a bacterial infection.

fishlover25

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Unfortunately he ended up dying yesterday before I could buy the meds.

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm sorry to hear that. Whatever he had did look pretty severe though, it's possible that nothing would have helped

fishlover25

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Very possible. I hope it's not something that was contagious and spreads to my other cories. So far other cories are looking good.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom