Very Sick Beta?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by SIMM0, Aug 22, 2019.

1. SIMM0

SIMM0New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    A beta was given to me. The original owner had two and one of them died, they randomly left me this fish and I decided to take ownership. The fish is in a pot originally it was a waterfall filter aquarium. Now it is left ina a cold dirty pot. I gave it a water change but it’s still looks sick and cold. The old owner said that they feeds it every 2 weeks. The fish (Ronaldo) looks green to me and I think it has possible fun rot and other problems. I received the fish and the water was green. I already had a 10 gal tank with healthy fish in it. I don’t want to spend too much money on this beta but I’m open to spending money to make it healthy. PLEASE HELP!! I’m afraid the beta may die and I really don’t want that to happen. Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Faytaya

FaytayaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    Just started
    He looks like he would be relieved to have a warm place to live, a little more food, and a clean tank to swim in. He looks a bit starved to me. Is he strong enough to eat? I don't see fin rot, just shredded fins (stress). He needs water at least 70 degrees farenheit to thrive.

3. OP
    OP
    SIMM0

SIMM0New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    He currently has no heater and the most he will eat a day is 3 pellets of beta food. I can go get him a heater and a filter.I’d have to get a new tank any suggestions? Do you have any idea why he looks a bit greener? Is it because he’s starved?

4. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +492
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    He definitely needs a heater if the water isn't between about 75-80, potentially up to 84 degrees, and a filter will definitely be beneficial to both of you.

The tank looks bare from the corner. Some silk or live plants, driftwood, smooth rocks, things like that make things interesting. Bettas are pretty curious fish and many like to rest on things like wide leaves (mine don't). You want to make sure nothing is too rough or coarse because they can snag fins.
    If you have a PetCo, see if the Dollar Per Gallon sale is still going on. Mine is ending this weekend (I'm going there for tanks myself). Then a 10 gallon tank is only $10 and you can easily buy the rest of the supplies.

If it was only fed every two weeks, the fish is probably lethargic from poor diet. A good food like Fluval Bug Bites has good protein and ingredients and treats of frozen or freezedried bloodworms and things like that can help him out. Be careful not to feed too much right now as after poor diet, too much food might easily make him sick, constipated, bloated, or get Swim Bladder Disorder.

Also, adding in filter media or even gravel or decor from your current tank, at least for a little while, to the new tank might help get the tank cycled. Do you test your water?

5. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,526
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You could get him a 5 or 10 gallon tank with a cover, a filter, an adjustable heater and a thermometer. You might want to get some gravel for the tank bottom as well. Fluval bug bites as @CheshireKat suggested is a great food. He'll need a place to rest near the surface of the water. They make betta "hammocks" or betta "leaves" that stick to the inside of the tank with suction cups. Start with that.
    His color may improve once he gets into some warmer cleaner water and his diet improves. I'm assuming you know you have to add a dechlorinator to any water you put in his tank, right? When you put him in his new tank, very slowly raise the temperature a couple degrees every hour or two. I'd just get it up to 78 and leave it there for now.
    Later, you may want to add some soft plants and smooth decorations, but for now he just needs a bigger, cleaner, warmer space.

6. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,199
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Welcome to FishLore! I hope you find the site helpful. best of luck with the betta.