Very Sick Baby Betta

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by alpaca, Jul 5, 2015.

1. alpaca

alpacaNew MemberMember

When I bought my baby betta (Raven) a couple of month ago, I had no idea they required much more attention and care than an adult betta. Now, I've learned my lesson. She is very weak and lays on her side at the bottom of her tank. I had to move her to a shallow container for now. She was so weak that a couple of days ago, when I was going to net her (to move her to the shallow container), she had very little energy to avoid the net. It was very difficult to get her out of the tank because she stayed almost anchored to the bottom. She did get her fins nipped over a month ago (I'm an idiot for allowing that to happen) and she has been solitary ever since then. My guess is that she has issues with her swim bladder and a bacterial infection. Prior to being anchored to the bottom, she had all of the symptoms of swim bladder disease. I gave her medicine (Jungle fungus) a couple of weeks ago, and I fear that it was too powerful. I've been monitoring her for the last few days and she hasn't been eating at all (possibly not even strong enough)-- even in a shallow container. I was feeding her flakes (poor choice, I know) the entire couple months I've had her until she started anchoring to the bottom. I'm pretty sure her growth has been stunted too, as she is only 1.5 inches long. I know a heck of a lot more about baby bettas today now that I've researched their needs further due to Raven's drastic health decline in the last few days. I was going to put her into a 1 gallon filtered tank today, but I feel it would be too powerful and stressful. I ordered some almond leaves, so I'm waiting for those to arrive (if it will even do anything).
    I fear she is near death and I don't feel there is anything I can do but hope for some miracle or watch her die slowly. Health wise, she seems to be doing about the same as yesterday though.
    Here is a picture of Raven from today:  
    The red I'm assuming is from previous ammonia burns. *slaps self*

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions?

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fish Lore!!!!

Yes, after looking at that picture I'm very sorry to say that she's not looking so good. :( Can you answer some questions for me?:

What size tank did you have her in before?

Was/is the tank she's in now cycled?

What were her tankmates?

I've heard that once they stop eating, well, it's very hard to get them back from that. I've heard to soak their food in garlic to summon up an appetite, but I'm not sure if appetite loss is really part of the problem here. I hope she gets better. :console:

3. OP
    OP
    alpaca

alpacaNew MemberMember

Thank you so much for helping!

What size tank did you have her in before? A half gallon, non-filtered :/

Was/is the tank she's in now cycled? No, it is not. She's probably in more shock than she should be. I put her in in a plastic container because it is wide but very shallow, because she wasn't coming up to the top at all. Maybe I should've just left her in her original tank. But I drained her original tank like an idiot.

What were her tankmates? I didn't know that female bettas should only be put in with other female bettas in an established community tank with more than 2 female bettas. So, I put her in a tank with another female baby betta that picked on her over a few weeks time and nipped at her fins gradually. They seemed to be getting along in the beginning, but I think they ended up competing, especially over who gets the most food. Raven ended up being the submissive one-- leaving the other female completely injury free. But that was a while ago and Raven started to heal, but there are significant chunks still missing from her fins and tail. She's a double tail too. *sigh*

4. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Bettas need to live in a filtered, heated tank of 2.5 gallons or more, 5 gallons is ideal. Anders247, do you want to tell her guideline #4 or shall I?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    alpaca

alpacaNew MemberMember

Oh, I realize the min. requirements. I just took on too many bettas to handle at one time. I suppose I should've just let her die from ammonia poisoning in the plastic cup at the store then?

6. BornThisWayBettas

Is there a filter or a heater in the current tank/container?

Sounds like you were trying to do a female betta sorority, was that it? As you've already learned, you'll need more than just two girls in a sorority or else those two will just pick on each other, the attention needs to be spread out among them. But, as that's in the past, not much point in giving you a lecture on that.

Sadly, I'm kinda out of ideas. I'm not even sure how well the garlic will work for babies, or if it even makes a difference how old they are. I wish you and your betta best of luck. :)

7. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Betta aggression is like cichlid aggression. You sort of need to overcrowd a big enough tank to spread out the aggression. Even with that effort, it won't even work sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. OP
    OP
    alpaca

alpacaNew MemberMember

Yes, I don't think I'll be trying the whole sorority tank ever again. But as Dom90 implied I'm a huge idiot when it comes to betta keeping so that's a sigh of relief for all betta lovers. I realized the baby needed more space than an average adult betta, so they can grow and whatnot. And I never provided a filter or a heater, because I am just terrible I guess. There's no backing up her tank situation. I currently have an uncycled 1 gallon tank set up with a filter. So would the aeration the filter provides help anything? At this point, Raven seems to be too weak. And 1 gallon isn't humane enough anyway.

9. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_Well Known MemberMember

I have seen similar cases, unfortunately in my own fishroom. I fear she is dying of simple stress and the secondary physical ailments that may be infection, reduced immune response, etc. Perhaps even critical internal injuries that I am unable to diagnose. I am largely guessing, I just know I've seen the same kind of lingering decline in bettas that were bullied by other bettas.

10. OP
    OP
    alpaca

alpacaNew MemberMember

Yeah, it seems she most likely has more than one ailment. Also, some of her scales started falling off on the side that she has been laying on. I moved her to the 1 gallon filter tank. She did a little more moving in this tank, but she is so weak that it only looked like seizures. :'(

...I guess it's just a matter of time before she passes away.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  11. BornThisWayBettas

I'm so sorry...... And no, you're not a "huge idiot" when it comes to betta keeping, you just kinda got off on the wrong track, that's all. You made a little mistake, we all do. So please don't beat yourself up for this, at least she is with someone that actually cares about her, could be a lot worse. You came here seeking help for her, and you're doing everything you can for her, I'd say that makes you a pretty darn good betta owner if I've ever met one. Sadly though, I don't really see her recovering. I'm so, so sorry. :console:

12. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_Well Known MemberMember

+1 I agree, OP, you are not alone in making mistakes unfortunately. Keep in mind that for us to give advice generally means that we have gone through something similar ourselves.

13. OP
    OP
    alpaca

alpacaNew MemberMember

Thank you so much your support and trying to help me @BornThisWayBettas and @_Fried_Bettas_, And thank you as well @Dom90. I know you all just wanted to inform me. I know I'm a newbie at betta keeping, but I know even experts lose their fish by accident.

Well, it looks like she has passed on.
    SIP (swim in peace) Raven
    I can't help but blame myself, but now I have learned my lesson. Heck, I'm even planning to upgrade all of my betta's tanks. And in the distant future, if I decide to buy a baby betta again, then I will definitely provide enough space, filtration, a heater, and a proper diet.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  14. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Sorry to hear she didn't make it.
    We've all made similar mistakes when starting out so don't feel bad, it's what we learn from those mistakes that makes us better fish keepers.

15. BornThisWayBettas

Sorry for your loss. :'( R.I.P. Raven.......

16. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Sorry she didnt make it. As fish keepers, we must learn from ours and others' mistakes and improve on them and do better next time.

17. fishguy122

fishguy122Well Known MemberMember

R.I.P. Raven.

Good luck with your other bettas and their tanks, its a brilliant thing you're doing by giving them even note space to swim in :)

18. OP
    OP
    alpaca

alpacaNew MemberMember

I really appreciate all of the condolences. I didn't mean to drag anyone into this. I'm sorry. Here is more of an upbeat picture of her. I wonder if she was a double tail. And I can't help but wonder what she would've looked like as an adult.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  19. Geoff

GeoffWell Known MemberMember

Sorry for your loss. She was a cutie.

20. BornThisWayBettas

She was lovely, so sorry for your loss. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice