Very Sad news

1. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

this is very sad i think my betta has ick, he has a few little white dots on his tail and body yet i dont see him scratching or anything, weird anyways i am gooing to the petstore tomorow to get some medication anybody have any other ideas ???

2. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

whoops meant to put this in dieseas can somebody move it please

3. Jon Well Known Member Member

turn up the temp in his tank (82-85 f) and add a SMALL amount of salt ( 1 tspn for 5-10 gallons )

4. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

i have cories i cant do that but i can raise the temperature but the temp is 80 already

5. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

If you're not yet sure what disease it is, it's always safe to use aquarium salt. Salt can be effective at treating ick too. And it's much safer than commercial medications. You can use 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons of water, or you can use a salt bath. Here is more info on a salt bath: https://www.fishlore.com/Forum/index.php?topic=1111.0 Please read everything in this post - it will be very helpful to you.

If you decide to use salt (I'd really recommend that you do), when you're adding it to water, first dissolve it in a cup or two of your tank water. Once it's dissolved, slowly add it to your tank - little by little, until all is poured into the tank. When you do water changes, and fish are still sick, add the appropriate amounts of salt to the tank. For example, if you have a 10 gallon tank and change 50% of water (5 gallons), then add back only 1 tablespoon of salt (since 10 gallons require 2 tablespoons) because you took out only 1 tablespoon of salt together with water. I hope that helps. And good luck. A lot of water changes and using salt when fish are sick are sometimes the best treatments you can use.

It's also OK to use salt together with commercial medications.

6. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

i have cories they dont like salt so salt is out of the picture

7. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

And Jon is right: increase the temperature to at least 80F. 81-82F would be good. Hotter temperatures help get rid of the disease faster.

8. Jon Well Known Member Member

Sorry i didnt notice you had cories... cories cant take much salt i know.

Ich:
    Its a parasite that infects your fish and then falls to your substrate and creates a cyst. After the fish are cured they get hit again by the parasite in the waters. If you raise the temp in your tank the parasite cycles faster. This is about all i know on ich. not much but mebbe it helps...

if u use meds make sure to take out carbon filtration

9. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

ya i will rasie the temp a little maybe a degree or two but whats your reasoning for removing carbon filteration

just curious what do you do all day you have a little over 30 posts a day

10. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

I don't know much about corries and how to treat them when they're sick. So you may want to wait for Gunnie or Butterfly to tell you what to do. They're really knowledgeable.

11. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

If you use a commercial medication, you must remove carbon from your filter, because otherwise it will remove all the medication from your water and the med won't be effective.

12. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

my cories dont have it just the betta right now and i think a guppy might have just gotten it and yes that makes sense thats what i had thought that the carbon filter removes all the chemicals in the tank

13. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

If just your betta and guppy have the disease, you could still try a salt bath (you don't have to put salt in your tank in this case - just read the link I gave you). Generally, if fish have scales it's safe to use salt, and if fish don't have scales, it's not safe to use salt on them. If you had a quarantine tank, all would be much easier. You could just put the sick fish in it and treat it separately, without upsetting the rest of healthy fish.

14. Jon Well Known Member Member

lol apparently i sit in front of my computer and post at this forum ^,~

jk i ski every weekend and go to school and care for my fish and play final fantasy games... eat poo sleep .... about sums it up

im also getting into building stuff

15. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

If your temp is (or was) already at 80 degrees, you could probably raise it and would recomment you raise it (gradually, over the next few days) a little closer to like 86 - I don't really think it could hurt. When you raise the temperature in the tank, it doesn't kill the ick. However, it does make it release from their hosts (your fish) and go free-swimming. Thus, your medication is more effective this way. It's really hard to kill ick that living on a fish. Much easier to kill it when it's in the water ;)

Good Luck

16. Jon Well Known Member Member

listen to emp he sounds like he knows more about ick than me lol

*she lol sry

17. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

ok well thats cool that you do that basically i do my hw run study and read about fish

18. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

i've learned a few things .. like to spread the wealth ! :D

19. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

You're right EmpPleco :) The best way is to learn and to spread the knowledge. I have learned so much on Fish Lore from others who have helped me here so many times. I love this forum - you always learn so much in here.

20. jim55379 Member Member

I heard at around 90 it actually kills the ick if it doesn't cook your fish first. sorry that your fish got sick but don't feel bad it happens to most of us. Let me know if they ever get better. I have personally tried different medicines and higher temps 80-83ish with NO success. Once your fish stop eating it's just a matter of time before they go to the great acquarium in the sky. Good luck...... ::)