Very poorly betta

Fishes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hoping someone can help with my very poorly betta,Max, bought him in a poor condition earlier this year with bad fin damage and he got lots better and re-grew a lot of finnage. Over the past few weeks he has suddenly deteriorated though and looks like this image.jpg my heart breaks to see him in this sad condition. His symptoms are fin loss( bits seems to just break off and he gets holes close to the body), swim bladder issues (cannot get down to bottom and really struggling to swim), looks quite emaciated though he eats well and begs for food all the time, severely clamped fins.

im really struggling with what the cause could be as it seems to be a number of issues which I'm not sure are related.

water quality hasn't been an issue, he usually lives in a 10g with 7 amano shrimp that's been set up over a year now.

mg13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello, I'm so sorry for you!

Have you recently changed food? Is it possible that he is having a mineral deficiency? How long has he been this way? It's a sorrow to look at and I'm thinking it might be better just to put him down, poor guy!

Fishes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No change in food, just a very slow deterioration really. I don't know about mineral deficiency, I have a couple of other freshwater tropical tank that have been set up a few years and never seen anything like this, we do have very soft water though so I don't know if that would affect him?

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's almost certainly a chronic bacterial or parasitic issue if he's eating and still looks like that. Likely the cause of the original issue, now really taking hold as he's gotten older.

Bettas like soft water, so that wouldn't be the issue. Honestly if he continues to deteriorate, you may need to consider euthanization.

Fishes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes water all fine, he is quite old now, maybe 3-4. So sad to see him like this. At present he hasn't got any worse over the past few days and still eating like a pig. I'm going to give him till the weekend and if no improvement will put him out of his misery.

mg13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes water all fine, he is quite old now, maybe 3-4. So sad to see him like this. At present he hasn't got any worse over the past few days and still eating like a pig. I'm going to give him till the weekend and if no improvement will put him out of his misery.
I'm so sorry.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom