Very New To Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Mallory Hunter, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Mallory HunterNew MemberMember

Hi! Just a quick little bit about us here: for Christmas, we got our 3 year old fish. I researched all that I could got everything we needed and decided on guppies. We started with 6 and 3 of them died; the first one died right away the second one died because I didn't know they could die from the lights bring in all the time (oops I felt really bad) and the third one took about 6 weeks and he got dropsy that didn't go away after everything, water changes and medicine and all that. Because he was kind of peace keeper with two other more mild mannered fish that got bullied by the black one, Noir, we replaced him, Big Red. The other two are Soul and Tiger. So all levels are fine the fish are happy but I started seeing that brown algae on an object and cleaned it off with just water wiped it off and it keeps coming back. They are due for a water change so can someone help me please?

2. hockeyguy6543Valued MemberMember

You should do a 25% water change and start having your lights on for 8-10 hours/day

3. Mary765Fishlore VIPMember

Hello! And welcome to Fishlore!!!

So I am just going to check a few basics first (standard stuff, just so we get an idea of how much you know).

1. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?
    2. What sized tank is it? I assume it's filtered and heated but how many litres/gallons in your tank?
    That algae you are seeing is called Diatoms. It's occurs when your tank is cycling/just finished cycling and will usually go away on its own without too much trouble. Just keep wiping it off :D

4. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Greetings and welcome to Fishlore :)

What @Mary765 said ^ :)

5. Mallory HunterNew MemberMember

It's a 5 gallon tank. I think I'm aware of the cycle, I've read about it but it was a little confusing. We end up doing close to 50 percent water changes only because that's how much ends up coming out because it's not very big. The fish like to eat it is that something to be worried about?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice