Very New....hey....

Action

Reaction score
Hey everyone.....Thanks for having me. I do not have a fish tank but am interested in getting 1.....59 years old and looking for first fish tank.....lol. Looking for any advise you have.
Thanks
Jack

CaptainAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hey everyone.....Thanks for having me. I do not have a fish tank but am interested in getting 1.....59 years old and looking for first fish tank.....lol. Looking for any advise you have.
Thanks
Jack
Hi! First off, welcome to the hobby! Know that this hobby takes a lot of work and isn't cheap. You should research all about the nitrogen cycle and any fish you may get. Everyone here is really kind and should be able to help you with any questions you want. Also, if you start here, later on expect multiple aquariums. I have been doing this hobby for about 3 and a half years, and I now have 13 aquariums ranging from 5-130 gallons. Good luck

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You are in great position and the right place ..
Look around and see what fish you like the most.
Ask lots of questions about fish that interest you.
Then experienced keepers can suggest proper tank size just for a good start ..
After that many others will help you with cycling and proper stocking ..
Welcome !

CaptainAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome! You're going to love it! When you think about a starter tank....bigger is definitely better.
Actually, I disagree. Bigger tanks take much more work and dedication. I suggest starting with something like a 10-20 gallon, maybe a 29. I feel you should start small and see if you like it then if you do like it you can upgrade. However if you decide you don’t want to keep fish you don’t have a massive fish tank to sell.

Action

Reaction score
Thanks everyone......Just kicking around the idea......But it does sound fun.
Jack

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome! It is fun! And veeeery addictive! I spend way too much time on my tanks. But I really enjoy it. Returned about 22 months ago after 30ish years away.
I like my 29 g for ease of water changes, maintenance, and stocking options.
Of course, that one is now sitting empty but I’ll probably set it back up after I finish with my 10 g holding tank.

CaptainAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome! It is fun! And veeeery addictive! I spend way too much time on my tanks. But I really enjoy it. Returned about 22 months ago after 30ish years away.
I like my 29 g for ease of water changes, maintenance, and stocking options.
Of course, that one is now sitting empty but I’ll probably set it back up after I finish with my 10 g holding tank.
Hi! I would very much agree with that! I spend at least 2 hours each day on my tanks (most days longer than that), it’s very fun!

LynnwoodFishDad

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’d say 20-40 gallons is a good starting range. Big enough that you don’t overstock it and small enough that you can maintain it. Read up on the nitrogen cycle, get some live plants, and keep it stocked lower than you want to! LOL. The biggest problem I have is my desire to just keep buying more fish. Even if your water can take it, they still just need their space!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom