VERY Low Light

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by stiglitz, Aug 9, 2015.

1. stiglitzWell Known MemberMember

2. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Your plants should grow fine. Yes this is low light

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Watts is irrelevant. What is the PAR rating for your bulb and fixture?

4. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Watts is not completely irrelevant when you are using florescent bulbs.

For what the OP is wanting to grow, his light will be fine. Don't expect crazy amounts of growth. But your plants will be OK with that fixture.

5. junebugFishlore LegendMember

WPG is not an accurate method of determining how much usable light reaches the plants, whether you're using LEDs or Metal halides or Fluorescents.

PAR ratings tell you how much light overall is reaching the plants... assuming your light is the correct spectrum and heat temp, you can extrapolate from there how much of that light is usable if you care to. Honestly most people don't.

Here is an excellent source of information on PAR values and what they mean, should the OP need it. I suspect the light on the tank is fine, but that doesn't mean you're going to be getting much if any growth on the plants.

6. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Lol I've read all that. It's pretty easy to get a par rating from a fluorescent bulb if you know the wattage. So, knowing the bulb wattage from a fluorescent bulb can certainly help to know if it would work in your tank. This is the only forum I have seen that completely dismisses watts per gallon. Actually there are only a few members who insist it is outdated when actually it isn't. Sure there are better ways to measure the usable light. But wpg is still a good starting point. Lol.

7. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Certainly not the only forum I'm on where most members dismiss WPG as a method of measuring light.

I've never heard of it being used to determine PAR. Do you have the conversion formula? I have a hard time trying to make that make sense, since PAR is also dependent on a number of things other than straight up power to a bulb. Spectrum and kelvin ratings (which vary depending on light) are important factors.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice