10 Gallon Tank Very low flow sponge filter

newbietetra

Hi

My Platy is going to have babies. So we prepared a 2-gallon clear plastic box, and we just bought a very small sponge filter (5 cm diameter, 5 cm tall).

I put the new sponge filter into my seasoned 10-gal tank to grow benefit bacteria on the sponge. To mimick condition in the baby tank, I set the flow as low as possible--like 3 bubbles per second. But after 10 days, I see no poop on the sponge filter. In contrast, a box filter in the tank (going full blast, 25 cm away) is full of poop (the tank is overstocked). So, looks to me the sponge filter is doing almost nothing. Does this mean the sponge filter cannot be set too slow?

But I am afraid if I set the flow fast in the baby tank, it will be too violent for the fry.

What should I do...how do I ensure 1) there is enough beneficial bacteria in the baby tank and 2) the filter does not make too much violent water motion?

BigManAquatics

Definitely going to need to turn the flow up to get the bacteria. Our platy fry do fine with 2 sponge filters set at almost full blast and an HOB in their tank.

newbietetra

Definitely going to need to turn the flow up to get the bacteria. Our platy fry do fine with 2 sponge filters set at almost full blast and an HOB in their tank.

My frys are always hiding in the corner with the java moss, when the pump is active. But my tank is only 2 gallon. So...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cichlidude
  • Question
Replies
Views
Marioguerra94
  • Question
Replies
Views
Mongo75