Very Jealous Dog

Tomcat1972

I have 2 dogs that I brought here to Australia with me from the USA. One is a Jack Russel mixed with a whipit named Dudley. The other is a corgi, rat terrier mix named Smoochy.
Smoochy has always been a bit of a daddy's boy. He loves it now that I'm disabled and no longer have to go to work every day lol.
Smoochy has always been very jealous of any attention that I give to anyone or anything except him lol
Even if I'm just sitting next to my fish tanks or pond watching the fish. Or even just taking the time to feed the fish he gets jealous and starts growling at me to get the attention back on him. He even has developed a taste for the fish food lol.
So if he sees me feeding the fish he come up and sits right in my way until I put a little pinch of the food on my lap for him to lick up lol.
I was wondering if anyone else has a dog that thinks it's a fish? .

Arades

Well, my dog would lie there watching my fish until he falls asleep but one day while he was sleeping, his paws and legs were moving like he was a fish lol and one time I was walking him down by a lake and usually he would walk beside me but what did he decide to do? Jump into the lake... I actually found a snail on his fur when he got out lol.

BobNJerry

I have 2 dogs that I brought here to Australia with me from the USA. One is a Jack Russel mixed with a whipit named Dudley. The other is a corgi, rat terrier mix named Smoochy.
Smoochy has always been a bit of a daddy's boy. He loves it now that I'm disabled and no longer have to go to work every day lol.
Smoochy has always been very jealous of any attention that I give to anyone or anything except him lol
Even if I'm just sitting next to my fish tanks or pond watching the fish. Or even just taking the time to feed the fish he gets jealous and starts growling at me to get the attention back on him. He even has developed a taste for the fish food lol.
So if he sees me feeding the fish he come up and sits right in my way until I put a little pinch of the food on my lap for him to lick up lol.
I was wondering if anyone else has a dog that thinks it's a fish? .

you pretty much described my dog. except instead of growling he follows me from tank to tank begging for attention..

he LOVES the fish food- I don't give him any but I think he'd prefer that over his own food. lol

Tomcat1972

Well, my dog would lie there watching my fish until he falls asleep but one day while he was sleeping, his paws and legs were moving like he was a fish lol and one time I was walking him down by a lake and usually he would walk beside me but what did he decide to do? Jump into the lake... I actually found a snail on his fur when he got out lol.
My little smoochy is funny when it comes to water. He doesn't like baths but don't really mind them either lol and if we take the dogs to the beach he will reluctantly follow me into the water if I call him.
Dudley on the other hand I have to pick up and carry to the water with him struggling to get away the whole time lol. Or try to get him to walk towards the water on his leash and he plants all 4 feet firmly in the sand and puts on the breaks lol.

endlercollector

Awww! Pics, please!

We have a Doxie Beagle mix by the name of Digory (because he twice dug up a 40-foot trench looking for the same gopher!) who is no longer allowed in the same rooms are my fish tanks. He's extremely jealous by nature (lots of low growling when the other dogs get too close while he's on my lap), so he hates it when I stare at the fish instead of into his adoring eyes, PLUS he hunts my fish! He would sit in front of the tanks, his head going back and forth, watching them, and BARKING continuously. He would also try to jump up against the tanks he could reach. No amount of scolding, muzzle time, or leash work would stop it (after all, his ancestors were bred to chase foxes for many miles and hours), so now he's banished to the master bedroom where he spends his days snoozing on my pillow :0

Tomcat1972

Awww! Pics, please!

We have a Doxie Beagle mix by the name of Digory (because he twice dug up a 40-foot trench looking for the same gopher!) who is no longer allowed in the same rooms are my fish tanks. He's extremely jealous by nature (lots of low growling when the other dogs get too close while he's on my lap), so he hates it when I stare at the fish instead of into his adoring eyes, PLUS he hunts my fish! He would sit in front of the tanks, his head going back and forth, watching them, and BARKING continuously. He would also try to jump up against the tanks he could reach. No amount of scolding, muzzle time, or leash work would stop it (after all, his ancestors were bred to chase foxes for many miles and hours), so now he's banished to the master bedroom where he spends his days snoozing on my pillow :0

Very cute and funny. My poor little smoochy even gets between me and my wife when we try to have a little cuddle. He always climbs up between us and gives us both kisses till we back away from each other lol.
1512073664581654028602.jpghere's a pic of Smoochy in his favorite place lol. My lap. Another funny thing about Smoochy is that his name does not really suit him lol.
Kind of like calling a short guy stretch or a fat gut slI'm or a skinny guy tubs.
Smoochy is a regular little smooch with the family but with other people or animals he thinks he is cujo lol.
Dudley on the other hand is the polar opposite. Dudley loves everyone.

endlercollector

Very cute and funny. My poor little smoochy even gets between me and my wife when we try to have a little cuddle. He always climbs up between us and gives us both kisses till we back away from each other lol.
1512073664581654028602.jpghere's a pic of Smoochy in his favorite place lol. My lap. Another funny thing about Smoochy is that his name does not really suit him lol.
Kind of like calling a short guy stretch or a fat gut slI'm or a skinny guy tubs.
Smoochy is a regular little smooch with the family but with other people or animals he thinks he is cujo lol.
Dudley on the other hand is the polar opposite. Dudley loves everyone.
Smoochy's expression here is hilarious! It's like he was thinking, "Don't anybody move! I belong right here!"

Tomcat1972

Smoochy's expression here is hilarious! It's like he was thinking, "Don't anybody move! I belong right here!"
It's sad lol. I have to take a drive to the store soon so he will end up pouting till I get back lol. Also to make it even worse, it's raining and thundering and the poor little pup is scared of thunder. He never use to be afraid of anything till some stupid neiborhood kids were throwing fireworks around my house.
Now if we even say the work "pop" Smoochy starts shivering and goes to hide in the bathroom. So anytime we know there are going to be fireworks within hearing range no matter how faint they may be due to distance we have to give poor Smoochy anxiety meds.

endlercollector

It's sad lol. I have to take a drive to the store soon so he will end up pouting till I get back lol. Also to make it even worse, it's raining and thundering and the poor little pup is scared of thunder. He never use to be afraid of anything till some stupid neiborhood kids were throwing fireworks around my house.
Now if we even say the work "pop" Smoochy starts shivering and goes to hide in the bathroom. So anytime we know there are going to be fireworks within hearing range no matter how faint they may be due to distance we have to give poor Smoochy anxiety meds.
Poor little guy! We know that he's going through! We have a very neurotic Doxie Min Pin rescue who is pathologically afraid of thunder and fireworks. People round here set off illegal fireworks half the summer, and I can hardly take him outside during that time :0

Tomcat1972

I use to love fireworks until I had a neighbor with 3 teenaged kids move in next to me that set them off all the time. They also use to make home made bombs to set off in the middle of the night. Everyone in the neighborhood called the cops about the kids but the mom did personal favors for half the police force so nothing was ever done about them. One of them finally blew 3 of his fingers off one day and they never made anymore bombs lol.

Lunnietic

I have a Maltese. He is super jealous of me feeding my fish. But I've found if I hold him in my arms and show him what I'm doing it helps. (He weighs 7lbs. Doesn't seem like you are able to do that).

He begs for their food but I never give it to him..when their tank was next to the couch I'd find him staring at the tank for hours on end. He's scratch at it even. (Were talking about a dog that also watches TV).

dansamy

"Mine!" by Jean Donaldson. Resource guarding can become very serious quite quickly.

Tomcat1972

"Mine!" by Jean Donaldson. Resource guarding can become very serious quite quickly.
Yep he has a bit of a problem with the "mine" complex. He is the only one allowed to play with toys. His older companion is okay with this and has no interest in toys but we also have to watch him to make sure he doesn't steal food from his companion lol.

dansamy

Seriously. Get and read that book. My reactive dog resource guards me. Which can be very dangerous to people approaching me. On the bright side, any intruder isn't getting anywhere near me as long as he's alive and conscious.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• PhantomSlayer
  • Dog
Replies
Views
Mcasella
  • Question
  • idkausernamesoyeah
  • Dog
Replies
Views
Momgoose56