Important Very Important-feeding!

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
This is just a day of lessons for me!

When feeding your oscar, DO NOT open the lid of the tank and then get the food. If you do, the oscar may "HUNT" for the food by jumping up and out of the tank.

Thanks goodness Ash didn't jump over the rim of the tank and onto the floor, but he could've.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, Brute will do that too, he even made it out of the tank and onto the floor twice when he was about 6 inches. I had to fit a latch onto the hatch of his tank as he got bigger, as he will try and jump if he sees me near the tank, thinking he's going to be fed!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the tip BB!

I got a chuckle picturing you leaning over to get the food, big splash, and when you come up you're soaked from head to toe. Doh! Your hair is beginning to frizz now. Makeup! :whistling:

Don't fret, Shawnie will do your hair.

Ken

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Haha, that's a worry, you don't want one of those getting out!! Although what a great excuse for a makeover if Ken's right lol!!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I always wait for this type of thread for new oscar owners LOL....im glad the bugger didnt make it over! and they will do it from 3 inches- 12 or more inches.....its all about the food baby~!

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yeah, Brute will do that too, he even made it out of the tank and onto the floor twice when he was about 6 inches. I had to fit a latch onto the hatch of his tank as he got bigger, as he will try and jump if he sees me near the tank, thinking he's going to be fed!
They're naughty fish, for sure. But OMG-they're personality is KICKIN'!

Thanks for the tip BB!

I got a chuckle picturing you leaning over to get the food, big splash, and when you come up you're soaked from head to toe. Doh! Your hair is beginning to frizz now. Makeup! :whistling:

Don't fret, Shawnie will do your hair.

Ken
I guess I'm lucky I do it AFTER work. That would be an interesting reason for being late;D

Haha, that's a worry, you don't want one of those getting out!! Although what a great excuse for a makeover if Ken's right lol!!
I know, right! In a few more months, he'll be able to beat up my dogs;D

I always wait for this type of thread for new oscar owners LOL....im glad the bugger didnt make it over! and they will do it from 3 inches- 12 or more inches.....its all about the food baby~!
I'm glad he didn't make it over, too. I've seen the "warnings" throughout the forum, but I guess it didn't sink in. You know how slow I can be sometimes

People say a fish's stomach is the size of their eye. Oscars have HUGE eyes and they're not aware of this interesting tidbit of information!

I guess he gets mad at us. I feed the fish after we eat dinner and he's in the 90g tank in the kitchen. By the time I feed him, he probably thinks he's going to starve to death. Such a brat!

Bent72

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Rofl i love these threads, my oscar bubbles who is around 14 inches will bring 3/4 of his entire length out of the tank for food it's funny when he does it and we have kids in the house ;D

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rofl i love these threads, my oscar bubbles who is around 14 inches will bring 3/4 of his entire length out of the tank for food it's funny when he does it and we have kids in the house ;D
ive had a 12 inch gal land on the carpet...never underestimate their size and the ability to get out ! (wasnt fun trying to pick that beast up ill tell ya LOL)

Bent72

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
the only fish i have had hit the carpet was a 6" male firemouth dont know what he was thinkin but had to chase him around for a few seconds

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Haha He must have been REAL hungry
Although scary as it must've been, I've had worse

I was happily netting fish out of my pond a few years ago ready to clean out when a female 26" Ghost koi flew at me! I dived on that beast like it was a croc'! lol

joshua 74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
lol i pout live crikets on the water and one of my oscars jumped out of the water and he mised the glass by about 1cm just making it back in.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom