Very Ill tank Help

1. passion336 Initiate Member

Well here's the pronberlem
    today I had my first water test and whoops didnt do well
    new tank syindrome?

so I went and got some Aquasafe
    and some Green x (Traps phosphate,nitrite,nitrate)
    did a 30% water change and treated the hole tank

All this fish look and seem fine apart from the neon's they keep opening there mouths every second?

any I Idear ??

kind regards

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

what test kit are you using and what were the results of your test?

water changes with prime conditioner will be your best friend for a few weeks..the prime will detoxify the ammonia/nitrites which can kill fish fast....no need for greenx and you dont want to trap anything you want to detox it but still keep it available to cycle the tank..which prime will do ...good luck!

3. passion336 Initiate Member

Thank you

:;hf

Thank you so much for the infomation ive already put the green x in
    how long should i keep it in for ?

Also what do you think is wrong with my neon's? its like they cant breath? are the going to be ok ?

thank you so much for you time im so greatfull:;thx

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

What are the readings for ammonia nitrite and nitrate?
    Gasping for breath can be a symptom of ammonia poisoning or stress.
    Can't answer your green x question. I don't know what it is.

5. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

HI passion :sign0016:

Does green-x do anything to neutralize ammonia or is it just for nitrite and nitrate? Ammonia is probably what's causing the fish to gasp. If you don't have anything for neutralizing ammonia at your lfs, then daily partial water changes are pretty much all you can do. The bigger and more often the water changes, the less likely your fish are to suffer ammonia poisoning while the tank cycles.

I hope everything gets better soon! :console:

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi passion,
    If you don't already have a test kit (if you got the fish store to test your water), you need a good liquid test kit. The strips are inaccurate, and with them, you won't really know if your tank has gone through the nitrogen cycle. The API master test kit has a great reputation, and many people on this forum use it.

Also, I have Aquasafe (made by Tetra, right), and I like it, but I also keep some Seachem Prime on hand in case of ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate issues. If your fish are stressed die to ammonia poisoning (gasping for air, fins clamped in rather than flowing, red aound the gills), then Prime with detoxify the ammonia for 24 hours at a time.

I use aquasafe during regular water changes and treat with Prime if I suspect something is off.

edit: Amelquel Plus will also detoxify, but then you can't use the API ammonia test. Tetra also makes an ammonia detox product that is pretty good, but I think maybe it doesn't help with nitrites and nitrates.

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I would do many daily water changes with the prime for the next few weeks...green x is for algae issues and if your fish are already struggling at the top, this could put them over :( ...I would NOT keep it in the tank
    the neons probably cant breath from ammonia issues...I hope things get better!

8. passion336 Initiate Member

hi

ok Im doing water changes every day, The water test was fine on the ammonia it was just the nitrite level Thats why I got the green x
    also I am feeding the fish every 2 days now but makeing sure the fighter and the frog gets fed everyday lol to make sure fish dont go missing.

the fish seem to be more lively

have you got anymore advise you could give me to help the nitrite turn into nitrate?

thank you so much for your time

kind regards

9. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

nitrite can kill also :( just keep up with your daily water changes and conditioner...eventually, the nitrites will turn to nitrates..im glad you fish are doing better!!!!