15 Gallon Tank Very high tap ammonia

Skyshadow3246

The water coming from my tap shows between 1.0-2.0 ammonia. My tank is just wrapping up a fish in cycle but I've have mainly had to use Prime to lock the ammonia because doing frequent water changes seems to make it worse not better (due to the ammonia).

Should I use a product to zero out the ammonia prior to adding the water to the tank or does that risk crashing my cycle? I don't have an area to set up an RO/DI system which was my first thought.

Open to all ideas!!

(Currently levels are .25 ammonia, 0 nitrItes, 5 nitrAtes). Tank is very heavily planted if that matters.

Freshfishguy

Skyshadow3246 said:
The water coming from my tap shows between 1.0-2.0 ammonia. My tank is just wrapping up a fish in cycle but I've have mainly had to use Prime to lock the ammonia because doing frequent water changes seems to make it worse not better (due to the ammonia).

Should I use a product to zero out the ammonia prior to adding the water to the tank or does that risk crashing my cycle? I don't have an area to set up an RO/DI system which was my first thought.

Open to all ideas!!

(Currently levels are .25 ammonia, 0 nitrItes, 5 nitrAtes). Tank is very heavily planted if that matters.
Beautiful tank! Others with more experience can chime in but I think those levels are okay to use the tap as long as you don’t overstock the tank, as your plants will consume a lot of it and help out the filtration. Also you can do a larger dose of prime after a water change than you normally would like you are already doing just to be safe.

GlennO

You'll just need to add a 3x dose of Prime to your water change water. Ensure that you have plenty of bio-filtration capacity. Also I wouldn't be drinking that water.

StarGirl

Don't add anything to remove ammonia.

Skyshadow3246

Freshfishguy said:
Beautiful tank! Others with more experience can chime in but I think those levels are okay to use the tap as long as you don’t overstock the tank, as your plants will consume a lot of it and help out the filtration. Also you can do a larger dose of prime after a water change than you normally would like you are already doing just to be safe.
Sounds good! I normally do a double dose but I'll start doing 3x as suggested.

GlennO said:
You'll just need to add a 3x dose of Prime to your water change water. Ensure that you have plenty of bio-filtration capacity. Also I wouldn't be drinking that water.
We definitely don't!! Water from the fridge filter doesn't have any ammonia. Sadly, running 3-5 gallons out of it a week would take forever!!

Pfrozen

Prime is mainly a dechlorinator, the "detoxifying ammonia" thing is mostly a marketing trick since Prime somehow shifts the equilibrium of ammonia in water slightly closer towards the non-toxic NH4 form. The scientists at Seachem don't even understand why it does that too lol. Anyways, the difference is marginal. I would rely on heavy filtration and column feeders and dose Prime normally

jtjgg

what's your water source? is it from a well? city water is not supposed to have that much ammonia.

extra dosing of Prime will work. If you don't believe in the detoxifying effects of Prime on ammonia, you can use Zeolite. Zeolite can be recharged with salt. Put some in a 5g bucket of tap water a few nights before a water change and it can absorb most of the ammonia in the tap.

ammonia is a cation, sulfur compounds are anions. there's some sort of weak bond that lasts for about 48hrs.

Seachem states that they don't really understand the detoxifying effects on nitrite and nitrate. As far as the nitrite there's atleast one scientific study that showed a sulfur compound can reverse the effects of methemoglobinea aka brown blood disease in humans. Should be the same for fish, since is just the nitrite ion taking up space on the hemoglobin an not letting oxygen on.

they also state that they will not disclose the proprietary ingredients in Prime (so maybe they know, but if they explain how it works, it will expose their proprietary ingredients), but we know it contains some type of sulfur compound b/c of the smell and the tiny black particles.

i don't think the placebo effect works on fish. Otherwise, so many fishkeepers wouldn't be recommending Prime.

Broggy

do you live in a farming community? ive heard fertilizers from fields leech into the water. fertilizers are made of animal poop, minerals and all those tasty things.

another option is to do smaller water changes less
often. the plants will eat extra elements as well.

Skyshadow3246

Broggy said:
do you live in a farming community? ive heard fertilizers from fields leech into the water. fertilizers are made of animal poop, minerals and all those tasty things.

another option is to do smaller water changes less
often. the plants will eat extra elements as well.
It's city water but we are definitely in a farming state. I'm in Oklahoma, so our main money makers are farming, cattle and oil. This could be the reason

Top Bottom