Very High Phosphate Help

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have an algae problem that started when I began adding fertilizer so I tested my phosphate and it’s super high in all my tanks. It’s also super high in my tap water which is what I use for my tanks. What should I do? Do I have to spend money getting phosphate removed to always have in my tanks? Is it dangerous to have his phosphate levels. All my fish are fine, I just have an algae problem in one of my 13 tanks.
IMG_1898.JPG

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have an algae problem that started when I began adding fertilizer so I tested my phosphate and it’s super high in all my tanks. It’s also super high in my tap water which is what I use for my tanks. What should I do? Do I have to spend money getting phosphate removed to always have in my tanks? Is it dangerous to have his phosphate levels. All my fish are fine, I just have an algae problem in one of my 13 tanks.View attachment 435354
Hello I...

Don't fret over algae. Just reduce the amount you feed a little and buy lower phosphate foods. The best thing for your fish is to keep them in clean water. So, work up to the point you're removing and replacing half or more of the water weekly. This will maintain a steady water chemistry and this all the fish need to be healthy.

Old

Baba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
From my understanding it will not harm your fish. I would stop dosing the wide spectrum fertilizer and rather get some KNO3 (dirt cheap stuff) to supply the other macro nutrients for your plants.

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you. My tanks are very clean - I vacuum and change at least 35% water every week, sometimes more frequently. I don’t want the brown algae to get out of control so I want to take action to keep it in check.

I’ll look into getting new food and KNO3.

Thank you.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom