VERY high pH out of tap, low KH, low GH

dogonlynose
The water out of my tap is >9 pH according to the TopFin test kit I have.

I also bought a KH/GH test and it says my water is 3 KH and 2 GH out of tap. When I was cycling my tank, my pH dropped to almost 5 one day so I quickly learned to raise my KH. I added a bit of baking soda as a quick fix and got the KH up to 8 for the tank. My pH has stabilized to 7.5 in the tank.

Now that I have had my betta in my tank for 2 weeks, I’m ready for a water change.
To try to solve the pH problem, I’ve let the water I’m using to change sit for 24 hours. It’s still registering as a little above 8 pH. I’ve treated it with Prime as well and that’s done nothing to bring the pH down.

Does anyone have advice on what to do with my weird tap water? I don’t want to bring the pH up too much since my betta is already in the tank. But I also need to solve this KH and GH problem. I did buy some Seachem Alkalinity Buffer and Equilibrium. I haven’t used either, however, since I’m not even sure if that’s the right stuff to use!

any advice will be helpful!

Noroomforshoe
I suggest that you stop trying to change the ph. especially if you only have a betta. Many tank-bred fish can adapt to ph outside of their ideal range, bettas are very adaptable. But no fish can adapt to a changing level of ph. you dont need all those chemicals. concentrate on keeping clean water and feeding high protein foods like new life spectrum and bug bites.

dogonlynose
I suggest that you stop trying to change the ph. especially if you only have a betta. Many tank-bred fish can adapt to ph outside of their ideal range, bettas are very adaptable. But no fish can adapt to a changing level of ph. you dont need all those chemicals. concentrate on keeping clean water and feeding high protein foods like new life spectrum and bug bites.
Okay thank you for the advice! I’m still very new to all this. I just worried that such a high pH might be bad. Letting it sit for a while does seem to bring it down naturally to 8ish. So I’ll just go with that. What do you think about the KH and GH levels?

Sunrise

Agree.

StarGirl
Okay thank you for the advice! I’m still very new to all this. I just worried that such a high pH might be bad. Letting it sit for a while does seem to bring it down naturally to 8ish. So I’ll just go with that. What do you think about the KH and GH levels?
You can safely raise your KH level with some crushed coral. It melts slowly and will regulate your pH better. What is the pH with no soda after you let it sit for 24 hours?

Also Prime wont do anything for pH levels.

dogonlynose
You can safely raise your KH level with some crushed coral. It melts slowly and will regulate your pH better. What is the pH with no soda after you let it sit for 24 hours?

Also Prime wont do anything for pH levels.
Thankfully, I haven’t added baking soda except the once when I was cycling the tank. When I let it sit for 24 hours it comes down to a little below 8 ph based on the test kit chart. I’m gonna go with that!

Should I put the crushed coral directly into the tank? Or put it in the filter?

Sunrise
I think for crushed coral you put it in a mesh bag?

StarGirl
Does it still drop under 7 at all? You can put it in the filter in a mesh bag. Rinse it first!!!! It will spike if you dont. Also get the crushed coral not the sand.

dogonlynose
Does it still drop under 7 at all? You can put it in the filter in a mesh bag. Rinse it first!!!! It will spike if you dont. Also get the crushed coral not the sand.
No it has stayed at 7.5 consistently since adding my betta. Do you know of a good brand for the crushed coral?

StarGirl
If it stays at 7.5 consistently I wouldnt worry about it. Just dont put the 9 pH water in there, let it sit.

dogonlynose
If it stays at 7.5 consistently I wouldnt worry about it. Just dont put the 9 pH water in there, let it sit.
Okay great! Thank you.

Noroomforshoe
are you also suggestion to him not to add the coral?

StarGirl
are you also suggestion to him not to add the coral?
If it is steady at 7.5 all the time there really is no reason to. I think it may have just dropped during their cycle.

dogonlynose
If it is steady at 7.5 all the time there really is no reason to. I think it may have just dropped during their cycle.
My KH in the tank is 8 last time I checked (I think because of the soda I added a long time ago). From the tap it is 3. The GH is 2 (both from tap and in tank). I’ve read that those number are bad for needed minerals for the fish and my snail. Should I still think about adding the crushed coral if my KH dips?

StarGirl
My KH in the tank is 8 last time I checked (I think because of the soda I added a long time ago). From the tap it is 3. The GH is 2 (both from tap and in tank). I’ve read that those number are bad for needed minerals for the fish and my snail. Should I still think about adding the crushed coral if my KH dips?
Yes if it is indeed 3.

dogonlynose
Yes if it is indeed 3.
Okay! I’ll keep my eye on the KH in the tank and add it if it drops. Thank you for your help!

StarGirl
Okay! I’ll keep my eye on the KH in the tank and add it if it drops. Thank you for your help!
You may need some GH for the snails also. Are you running a water softener?

dogonlynose
You may need some GH for the snails also. Are you running a water softener?
No my tap water is just very soft. I was surprised how much!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Robert Morrison
  • pH
Replies
Views
Robert Morrison
  • Shrimp42
  • pH
Replies
Views
GeorgieGirl1003
  • AngelTheGypsy