Very Frustrated - Trying To Get My Betta A Bigger Tank

13Tskhmaster
I purchased a Top Fin Enchant 2.5-gallon tank at PetSmart. I took it out of the box, removed the divider (I only have one betta fish I plan to house), and was very disappointed to see a crack in the tank's front side. It was a few inches long and went all the way through. I took the tank back to PetSmart, and they begrudgingly replaced it. I took the new tank home, and the same thing happened again! I was not being forceful; all I did was carefully slide the divider out.

I am very upset and in desperate need of help. Is there any way I can repair my tank right now without buying fancy equipment (special glues and such)? My betta fish really needs a larger home, and my parents are getting mad at me because they don't think he is worth all this hassle.

If I must buy a new tank, which one do you recommend? It has to be a 2.5 gallon one because the heater I bought only fits 2.5-gallon tanks...

Attachments

• 20180327_232452.jpg
    20180327_232452.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 87
TLOP
The Fluval Spec III is a pretty good tank. It already comes with filtration, a light, and a lid.

13Tskhmaster
I appreciate the suggestion, but that looks a bit pricey. I've already spent over $60.00 trying to improve my fish's way of life. If I spend any more, I'll be in trouble.

I should clarify: I'm looking for tank-fixing hacks (if any) first, and new tanks second.

Five 97
You can't fix a crack like that, especially in a bowfront. Get a non-bowfront, standard 2.5 gal (preferably Aqueon).

13Tskhmaster
Good one or no:

Five 97
Good one or no:
Is it something with the bowfront you like? Tanks this little have very thin glass, a standard, rectangular tank would be sturdier at this size.
Something like this, you could probably get one a lot cheaper at your LPS:

13Tskhmaster
I don't have a design preference. My fish's current tank is much like this one and has always been fine. My guess why the first two new ones cracked is they were not a recommended brand, and I tried handling them with an inexperienced hand. I could have and should have been more careful. Taking that into account, would this tank do what's necessary for my betta?

Five 97
I don't have a design preference. My fish's current tank is much like this one and has always been fine. My guess why the first two new ones cracked is they were not a recommended brand, and I tried handling them with an inexperienced hand. I could have and should have been more careful. Taking that into account, would this tank do what's necessary for my betta?
Once it's cycled, yes. Glass is very thin in tanks this small, and the bend in the front panel (bowfront) doesn't help.

13Tskhmaster
The main concern with fish tanks in my household is space. I like the tank I linked to because it doesn't require much more than my fish's current one (a 1-gallon), but it is a better home for him in the long run. I hope to make the necessary purchase tomorrow. In the meantime, I bought a heater suitable for tanks 2.5 gallons or smaller. Could I add this to the current tank to improve water temperature without cooking my fish? It could be a few days before the new tank arrives (assuming I can get it).

Five 97
Yes, you could add the heater, is a thermometer in the tank? 78-82F is an ideal temp for your betta.

13Tskhmaster
Right. I'm asking if it's safe for me to put the heater into his current, 1-gallon tank so he can be more comfortable while he waits for a new home. If so, do I remove him first? How do I introduce him to the warmer water?

Five 97
Right. I'm asking if it's safe for me to put the heater into his current, 1-gallon tank so he can be more comfortable while he waits for a new home. If so, do I remove him first? How do I introduce him to the warmer water?
You would not remove him - Just raise the temperature a few degrees an hour at a time.

13Tskhmaster
I do not believe the heater is adjustable. The packaging says it maintains a temperature of 78 degrees.

Five 97
I do not believe the heater is adjustable. The packaging says it maintains a temperature of 78 degrees.
What's the wattage of the heater?

13Tskhmaster

Five 97
20 watts running un-adjustable in a 1 gallon is overkill. I'd test it in a similarly sized (1 gal) jar or container full of water and see how warm it gets.

13Tskhmaster
Will it be okay in the 2.5-gallon if and when it comes?

Five 97
Will it be okay in the 2.5-gallon if and when it comes?
2ow should be good in the 2.5g.

13Tskhmaster
Phew! That's a relief.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Katie13
Replies
Views
Crimson_687
Replies
Views