Very first Saltwater Tank! - 20 gallon JBJ Nano

• Thread starter OhioSaltWater
  • Start date

OhioSaltWater

This is my first tank setup. I picked up a JBJ 20 gallon Cubey back in May and have been sitting on it while I do research and let the anxiety settle down lol.

The tank and stand was only $147 with an inventory blowout sale. Couldn't pass up the deal.

The AIO filter came with foam blocks and a janky removable filter.

I ended up going to home depot and picked up some egg crate, made my own removable shelved filters and added filter bags of Pond Matrix, carbon and Chaeto.

Saturday, I added live sand, Life Rock Shapes and water from my LFS (I'm getting an RODI system so don't yell at me lol).

It was still a little cloudy after 24 hours so I kicked the 256 gph pump and it was crystal clear in a couple hours. The glass was dirty so I cleaned it; calcium from the live sand? Turn the pump on and crystal clear again in less that an hour.

Sunday test:

Amonia: between 0 and .25ppm

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: 0

PH: 7.8

Today test:

Amonia: 0

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: 10ppm

PH: 7.8

I added turbo start 900 and a pinch of fish food and will test again tomorrow.

All in all I love the setup. Let me know what you think and any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

OhioSaltWater

Sorry, new to the forum and getting used to it. I didn't mean to double post.

OhioSaltWater

Also, what size power head should I use for my tank? Would a 240gph Hydor be efficient enough? I can't really find a definitive answer and I don't want to under or over do it.

saltwater60

Well Known
OhioSaltWater said:
Also, what size power head should I use for my tank? Would a 240gph Hydor be efficient enough? I can't really find a definitive answer and I don't want to under or over do it.
That should do it. Depends on live stock.
mid check that ph again before adding critters. It’s a bit low. Saltwater like to be a tad over 8. What salt mix are you using. Reef or fish only.
Rockwork looks great and great deal.

OhioSaltWater

Fish only I believe.

It's in the 8+ range apparently. I'm slightly color blind. My wife helps me with colors the majority of the time lol

Attachments

saltwater60

Well Known
OhioSaltWater said:
Fish only I believe.

It's in the 8+ range apparently. I'm slightly color blind. My wife helps me with colors the majority of the time lol
That’s perfect.

Top Bottom