Help VERY dirty 10 Gallon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExiledxAssassin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Alright, well my brothers 10G was so dirty and algae-fied that I am going to do a COMPLETE start over on it.

I put his fish in my 30G with all the rest of my guppies & danios (which they all became best friends the minute I put him in AND he seems WAY happier to have friends now)

But my question(s) is:

1. How do I clean the gravel? Plain water? Can I use something else to help get the smell of algae out of it?

2. What can I use on the tank glass to get all the invisible algae off of that?
I heard salt works but am not sure?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
1) If you're trying to preserve any bacteria use warm dechlorinated water.
If it's really bad, you might want to just toss it.

2) You can use vinegar. If the tank is glass you can use the rough side of a never seen soap or chemicals sponge.
I don't know if vinegar has an effect on acrylic. Only use a soft cloth on acrylic or it will scratch.

Nice job saving the fish

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would just get the big gunk out of it and get the side glass clean, if it was still running then i wouldn't worry too much about getting the substrate too clean. The algae thing will resolve itself with proper maintenance.

OP
ExiledxAssassin

ExiledxAssassin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
2) You can use vinegar.
Nice job saving the fish

Thank you I did use vinegar on the gravel and it did get about 95% of the algae smell out but better than what it was.

jetajockey said:
I would just get the big gunk out of it and get the side glass clean, if it was still running then i wouldn't worry too much about getting the substrate too clean. The algae thing will resolve itself with proper maintenance.
I have been maintaining the tank for the past month now and nothing was changing. There are going to be no fish in the tank (but going to use same filter media).

----

But I now have the tank up and running again and looks CRYSTAL clear and great!

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's cool, I was just mentioning it because it does take some time to get a well established system going on, so it'd be nice to preserve that and just get rid of a minimal amount for aesthetic and cleanliness purposes.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I did use vinegar on the gravel and it did get about 95% of the algae smell out but better than what it was.
I don't know about using vinegar on gravel.
My suggestion of vinegar was to your second question about what to use on the glass.

OP
ExiledxAssassin

ExiledxAssassin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't know about using vinegar on gravel.
My suggestion of vinegar was to your second question about what to use on the glass.
Oh I must have misread! , well I did wash it afterwards pretty well with lots of water, there was no scent of vinegar on it after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom