Very Cloudy Water!!

1. KimmyT

KimmyT Valued Member Member

i apologize in advance, not sure of the levels! Need to get a test kit.
    Just did a 25% water change and added the conditioner of course, all of the sudden the water is extremely cloudy today! Our black skirt tetras are hanging out at the top all day. Sending my hubby to check the levels at petsmart after work. I don't believe it's a bacterial bloom but I'm not sure. You cannot see a thing in the tank!
    37 gallons, 8 black skirt tetras, 4 Cory catfish, 3 platys
    25% water change yesterday
    Tank was started 3 months ago, occasional cloudy water but this is the worst I've seen it!
    Thanks in advance for the tips!

Attached Files:

2. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Lets go back to the time you changed the water. Did you by chance clean the filters if so did you run it under tap water or use dirty fish water?

3. OP
    OP
    KimmyT

My husband used the water from the tank, also put a new filter. We have the aqueon quiet flow!

4. Fashooga

I'm assuming that the filter that your husband replaced is probably in the trash. That's probably the problem, the filter. You should never replace the filter. That filter carries 90% of the bacteria that makes the tank run. What basically happened is that you guys are seeing your tank going through the cycle.

You see how the water is white? That is a bacteria bloom. Your ammonia levels are likely around the 0.25-.50 PPM (at least) and thus the reason why the fish are at the top.

You will need to get a API water test kit and monitor this tank if you don't want the fish to die. You will need to do frequent water changes so that your ammonia levels are around 0.25 ppm, this cycle could be a mini cycle but it could be a start of a new cycle since the filter was replaced.

You could get lucky, you might have enough bacteria in the tank that you could weather this storm pretty quickly...but again, get the API water test kit and look at the water parameters.

5. OP
    OP
    KimmyT

Thank you so much! Makes a lot of sense!

6. Fashooga

While your husband is out getting supplies see about buying some extra sponge to put into the corner where the intake is...you want this can serve as a mechanical filter (to clean the gunk) while serving as a back up sponge filter.

7. Ken Ooi

Ken Ooi Valued Member Member

Should you be getting something to boost the bacteria growth like Stressziem or Seachem Prime Stability (bacteria water conditioner). This adds bacteria back to the biological filter thus aiding your bacteria cultures to grow. Note- Seachem Prime does not add bacteria cultures but what it does is binds chlorine and chloramines so it won't harm fish though it aids in reducing Ammonia.

8. m

minervalong Well Known Member Member

Also have him get a bottle of Seachem Prime. It will lock up ammonia in the tank up to 1 ppm for 24 hours. This gives your BB time to ramp up and keeps the fish safe.

9. Fashooga

Looks like hubby is going to need a shopping list.

Hope your tank pulls through soon!

10. OP
    OP
    KimmyT

Just wanted to thank you guys! Ironically, he purchased the Seachem Prime without my knowing, and here is what the tank looks like now. We have our test strips now and everything has been coming back great after the prime and UV sterilizer we've used on and off for a couple weeks.
    Thanks again for your help!! Our fishies can SEE again!! :D

Attached Files: