Very Cloudy water(pics)???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamarr

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have had my tank for about a month. last week I added a clown, snail, and hermits. Everything was going good for about couple days then on the 3rd day I came home from work, everything dead. Right now water is very cloudy...

Nitrates - 0.0
Nitrites - 0.0
pH - 7.8
Ammonia - 8.0
Salinity - 1.023
Live rock - 30lbs
35gal Hex

IMG_0922[1].JPG

IMG_0923[1].JPG

IMG_0924[2].JPG

I really dont know what I did wrong, but I am kinda freaking out right now due to water being foggy for about a week. I did 2 water changes since last week. Really need some advice on how to fix problem.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If your ammonia is that high you need to find all life that you have in there They are gone if that's whats going on and after you find them then shut of lights and let the tank cycle This will take a while donn't do any water changes and use RO water only!!!! you are experiancing an algael bloom and as well as a cycle thing leave lights off till you have ammonia and nitrites to zero and wait till nitrates climb to high levels and then they dropp to near zero befpre you do any thing else. After that point contact me and we can see what's next!

Jamarr

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks guys, very helpful info. I guess I just have to wait it out.

pep372

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
wait a minute is that 8 drops you put in or 8.0 >> if its 8 drops than your ammonia is probably 3.2 which is good. other wise way up there.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would immediately do a water change of at least 50%. Though your fish are dead, it is possible that some of the stuff in the live rock has been sheltered from the ammonia enough that it has survived. Of particular importance is the nitrifying bacteria, which can actually OD on ammonia. The cloudiness looks like a bacterial bloom, likely due to the high amount of organic matter in the aquarium.

Now, after this basic suggestion, let's get some info.
You had your aquarium for a month, and added fish last week, correct? Was the live rock in for the month before that?
Had the aquarium cycled prior to adding fish? (I am presuming so, but I want to be absolutely sure.)
Is it possible that anything was added that may have caused an ammonia spike or killed off the live rock? Spilled food (or a child "helping" when adults weren't around)? Untreated water (specifically, water that didn't have the chlorine, chloramine removed)? Meds of any sort?

Jamarr

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had the live rock in first and then added the fish. I came home today and my water was crystal clear. Water levels are still not looking good, just wondering if I should wait it out a while longer or should i do a water change?

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Water change immediately. I'm not making this suggestion to deal with the cloudiness, but to deal with the ammonia.

Still looking for answers to the second and third questions:
Was the aquarium cycled before fish were added?
Did anything get into the tank that may have hurt the nitrogen cycle or livestock?

Jamarr

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sirdarksol
the tank did go through its cycle, and not to my knowledge that anything got in the tank. Will do a water change tomorrow, and get that Amquel in the tank.
Thanks again. Will keep you guys up to date.

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The fish are dead. I'd say just ride it out, do 10% water changes so the bacteria doesn't overdose, then start with a cleaner crew. It might take a few weeks.

Jamarr

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
There is algae(green) on the glass, should I scrape it off the glass or leave it?

locoyo386

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
wait till nitrates climb to high levels and then they dropp to near zero
Had to correct this as the nitrates mostlikely will not drop to near zero unless he has great denitrifying bacteria, most likely he wont.

Jamarr

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So it would be a long time before my levels start to look like they are suppose to?

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
For just fish only it should take around a month. Much longer for corals and anemones. You might get away with a leather coral or two after around two months. Maybe a toadstool or something. And mushrooms, of course.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It doesn't matter if it's Fwlr or reef it all takes time for a tank to cycle check your ammonia is it rising test every 3-4 days till ammonia drops to zero then wait about 2-3 days later and start checking nitrites.Something should be starting to happen by now!

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think what Zeeter is talking about for the corals and anenomes is the fact that many of them need mature tanks that can provide their food.
However, Stang Man is absolutely correct that the cycling process is going to happen in its own time. We can help it along its way (one of the reasons live rock is so great; once it has been cured, it pushes the cycle along quickly), though. It is complete whenever your ammonia and nitrite ratings are at zero and you have some sort of nitrate rating.

Jamarr

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ammonia is at zero and nitrites are on the rise!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom