Very Cloudy Tank

1. J

Joanna W New Member Member

how can I clear the water up again? My filter is new and works fine there’s bits of waste about how can I make the water clear? Thanks

2. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

Hi!! What's in your tank?? How long has it been running??

3. OP
    OP
    J

Hi there I bought the tank yesterday from a guy who previously kept fish in it we took the old water out etc but when we put new water it went cloudy and murky the waste isn’t a big a problem as the cloudy ness will this subside in a couple days?

4. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Depends on the cloud color, is it white? If it is that is a bacteria bloom...tank is going through a cycle process.

If it's brown, it's likely dust...this can be fixed by adding poly fil into your filters to catch all the fine particles.

5. OP
    OP
    J

It’s more cloudy now less partially I’m guessing I’ll have to wait for it to become normal?

Attached Files:

6. Fashooga

It looks like the tank is going through a cycling process. Since you put a new filter in did you save any of the filter media, like bio rings, sponges that were in the previous tank?
    A new filter with new bio media and nothing from the previous filter was transfer will result in this. Since the filter is new I'm assuming that you didn't have any of the old media.

Since you have fish in there you will need to do daily water changes so that they can survive this. If you don't have a API master water test kit I would suggest getting it to help monitor this.

7. OP
    OP
    J

Wow thanks I will do so immediately will this clear out soon?

What should the ideal Ph be ?

8. Fashooga

Ideally pH should be 7.0, that's considered neutral.

The white cloud will clear up in a week, but that doesn't mean the tank is done. Most new tanks take at least a month for it to be fully ready. Since, assuming the bio media is new, it will take at least a month. You will also need to get a declorinator, such as Prime to help bring ammonia down.

9. OP
    OP
    J

Oh ok thanks so much!

10. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

Listen to @Fashooga !!:) He is more experience than I!!