VERY basic lid questions.

KribensisLover1

Hello! So I have an aqueon hinged lid. Mine came already put together. I assume everybody has the ugly black stripe down the middle where the hinge is right? I didn't make a mistake and not take a part off? I see other people have said they struggle to get the hinged lids together and I was happy mine was ready made (minus the plastic that covers the back but i can't use it because of my filters). Does everybody else have the ugly black piece or was I supposed to use the plastic piece I think goes at the back on the middle?

Mightaswell

All I did to both of mine was put on the back clear vinyl after cutting the things out and attach the handle. Mine came with the ugly hinge attached already as well.

John58ford

The clear plastic gets cut out for your filters etc. The black hinge (mine was brown) is awful. I removed mine, cut 2x 1.5" long chunks off and left an air gap down the middle on my 3D 29. On my snake tank I used a little packing tape to close the gap and still get rid of the shadow the stupid hinge casts under the light.

If you can't imagine what I mean I can take photos for you tomorrow during the normal light cycle.

Edit, it's easier to take apart if you soak it in a bathtub full of hot water for a few minutes.

JettsPapa

I never noticed it, but since the rims are black too I don't mind.

KribensisLover1

John58ford said:
The clear plastic gets cut out for your filters etc. The black hinge (mine was brown) is awful. I removed mine, cut 2x 1.5" long chunks off and left an air gap down the middle on my 3D 29. On my snake tank I used a little packing tape to close the gap and still get rid of the shadow. The stupid hinge casts under the light.

If you can't imagine what I mean I can take photos for you tomorrow during the normal light cycle.

Edit, it's easier to take apart if you soak it in a bathtub full of hot water for a few minutes.
Cool! Was it hard to lift off the panes for water changes? I only open the front of mine to change the water, I don't need to remove it entirely.
coralbandit said:
There are aftermarket clear hinges .
https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Living...quarium+glass+top+hinge&qid=1610186120&sr=8-4
Just make sure you match your glass thickness ..This one 3/16
Johns approach is the most common and leaves you with extra parts for when they wear out .
So I read about this option AFTER I posted last night and I love the idea but a lot of people said they had a pane break when trying to put the new clear piece on. I know I could get another glass piece but I would rather not have to. Have you replaced the black yourself? If so was it tough?

John58ford

KribensisLover1 said:
Cool! Was it hard to lift off the panes for water changes?
It still folds just like the original, just with little pieces of hinge vs the long strips.

Here's the one in the snake tank with the tape in addition to hinge pieces:

And the 29 with just hinge chunks:

coralbandit

KribensisLover1 said:
Have you replaced the black yourself? If so was it tough?
I have removed and replaced the hinges before .Just warm them up and make them slippery /wet .
I don't have a single cover now on any of my 50+ tanks ...

KribensisLover1

coralbandit said:
I have removed and replaced the hinges before .Just warm them up and make them slippery /wet .
I don't have a single cover now on any of my 50+ tanks ...
WoW!!!!! That is awesome! I didn't have a cover and I loved it but my tetras hopped out. So that was the end of that sadly.
John58ford said:
It still folds just like the original, just with little pieces of hinge vs the long strips.

Here's the one in the snake tank with the tape in addition to hinge pieces:

And the 29 with just hinge chunks:
Wait is it as sturdy? Is it exactly the same but you removed the black! I thought you meant it was two separate panes of glass and you had to remove one to clean the tank.

StarGirl

I think the part people have trouble with is putting the clear back peice on. It is really hard... The hinge is assembled in the factory.

KribensisLover1

StarGirl said:
I think the part people have trouble with is putting the clear back peice on. It is really hard... The hinge is assembled in the factory.
Oh okay thank you! I didn't even bother. Seemed tough to cut and I have two filters so didn't want to have to cut out spots and not be able to move the filters and if I cut out enough room for movement the back piece would essentially be gone. Though I have (it's hideous) laid it across the back Bc my tetras can jump out accidentally.

John58ford

KribensisLover1 said:
Wait is it as sturdy?
As long as you have about an inch and a half on each side it's sturdy enough to use the same as with the whole thing. Adding tape works great on my reptile enclosure but I run the water too high in my normal tanks and the tape eventually slides off.
StarGirl said:
I think the part people have trouble with is putting the clear back peice on.
I use the clear part reverse of normal. One was long enough to span from lip to lip (right to left)in the rims so I notch the corners and slide it against the tank instead of onto the glass. (Excuse the snail eggs):

Doing it like that with a HOB might be harder though depending on how far in you have to notch it.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom