Very bare tank

Miss Mouse

hey guys! Finally managed to get some pics of my new tank - still looking very naked and needs some substrate and more live rock etc I know! But i'm just SOOO excited and I also wanted some advice on plants etc

25.jpg

And this is my live rock with the lovely purple stuff growing on it..

26.jpg

And can anyone tell me if this is good algae or bad algae? It sprung up over the last few days and I don't know if I should be happy or not :-\

Mike

Your tank is going to go through the typical algae cycles and the photo with the green algae looks harmless. Keep up with those water changes, monitor your parameters regularly (if still cycling) and feed lightly. What are your water parameters like?

Make sure that if the live rock you get in the future is not cured, that you cure it in a separate tank or bucket for a few weeks before putting it in the main tank.

Is the larger rock from a freshwater tank?

Mike

Miss Mouse

HI Mike! All water parameters are good - the tank is fully cycled thank goodness. I thought it was never gonna happen!
About the live rock - why do you advise uncured rock? I have a good bucket I can cure it in but I would prefer to buy cured because of the things already visibly growing on them. The uncured I've seen has been rather grotty looking - like its dead!
The other rocks were bought in a shop by boss's partner for the marine tank. They're growing a horrible brown algae - it looks like they've been tanned because this algae is visible especially where the light seems to reach the most..

Joe G

LOOKS GOOD

Miss Mouse

Thanks Joe! Its coming along - looks a bit better with more live rock now ;D Still need some plant life but I want to wait for the live rock to attach plants to.

Mike

Sorry, misunderstanding. I wasn't recommending cured rock over uncured rock. I just wanted to warn you that you can't put uncured rock directly into a tank stocked with animals and that you need to cure it first in a separate tank or bucket.

Miss Mouse

Ahh hehe I thought there was some secret that I didn't know about uncured rock ;D Thanks Mike!

EEEK I have a bristleworm too...he's very mean looking the way he lurks in his hole. He reminds me of the jabberwokky :-[

Here is my newer addition - a valentinI puffer fish! He's SO sweet and such fun to play with

16.jpg

I also have a sand sifting starfish - he is my newest addition because he's going to help me get rid of all that horrible red cyano slime you can see on the sand >

17.jpg

And this is the whole tank at the moment - coming along but I still need loads of live rock and some more plants.

18.jpg

kano5003

hey I added you to my msn I just want to get to know salt water and what do you do do you just go down to the beach every week and collect water or do you do the tests and can you just go to the beach without the test and where you get the sand from and do you have a special light or just a normal light please reply

agsansoo

I Like the new tank pic's ...!
Not so bare anymore !

How is the new protein skimmer working ?

Miss Mouse

Its coming along slowly - thanks for the comment Protein skimmer is amazing! It's just fascinating how much unseen gunk it can remove. I'm a bit obsessive about cleaning so it's nice to know that its doing something that I can quite do...I I love cleaning it - it's like a dream come true ;D

hey I added you to my msn I just want to get to know salt water and what do you do do you just go down to the beach every week and collect water or do you do the tests and can you just go to the beach without the test and where you get the sand from and do you have a special light or just a normal light please reply

Hey Kano: I would never take water from the beach - it could be polluted and bring some nasty things into my tank whcih could kill my fish so I use aquarium salt which you buy from the pet store. You mix it up with water in a bucket and then you add it to your tank when its at the right temperature and has the right salt level. I also but the sand from the pet store - you can buy dry sand (whcih is cheaper but takes longer to settle) or live sand which already has good bacteria in it (slightly more expensive but very useful for cycling the tank quickly). I have replied to your other post so read that - there's a list of equipment you'll need to get before you start your tank.

Urs

petercaine

nice set up

hI the tank looks cool a customer of mine has just set up a new marine tank 285UK GALLON its a monster took 8 men just to lift the tank onto the stand he brought the tank out of the local paper the tank alone when it was new cost 8grand it was custom made dean my mate paid £1400 for it with the water the lights the filtration system and 70 piece of live coral and about 60 fish I'm really jealous coz I want a bigger tank and a marine one !!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Miss Mouse

WWWWWWOOOOOOOO! THATS AMAZING!! I *WISH* I had space and money for something like that. One day... (dream...)

I have some firefish!

59.jpg

And there they are with the valentinI puffer...

atmmachine816

Looks good miss mouse. Keep it up.

Curious, what do you feed your firefish.

inuyasha_lover_21

You got a beautiful tank. Mine is slowly coming along

Miss Mouse

Looks good miss mouse.  Keep it up.

Curious, what do you feed your firefish.

Thanks! My firesfish eat flakes, dried bloodworm and brineshrimp too! They're not picky at all

agsansoo

Tank looks great ....!
I see you still have a demon fish (blue damsel) in your tank LOL. Has he bothered any of you new fish ?

Miss Mouse

heheh they really are demons! I had 2 to start with which the previous owner have to me - one of them was SO evil so I gave him to a friend of my mum's who's got a much bigger tank with MUCH bigger fish! Apparently the demon damsel is no longer a demon - he knows he's no longer the biggest fish in the tank. The other one is very passive and he and the clown go everywhere together - very sweet natured little guy.

atmmachine816

Aw the clown has a friend. That's good.

Thanks for the info on the firefish.

COBettaCouple

Hey guys! Just thought I would update some pics - here is my malu anemone too - he's really perked up and eating well!

he's a beauty! about how old is he?

atmmachine816

ooo pretty

bmRboY

That is looking good!!!! Not so bare anymore...

agsansoo

Great to see your anemone is doing well ;D. Mine is still alive, but still very bleached ... .

Miss Mouse

Thanks! I have no idea how old he is - only had him a few weeks now and he's pretty healthy. Sorry to hear yours is still not too well Andy - what a shame. Do you think he will recover? x

agsansoo

Thanks! I have no idea how old he is - only had him a few weeks now and he's pretty healthy. Sorry to hear yours is still not too well Andy - what a shame. Do you think he will recover? x
I'm not sure. He needs lot of TLC. The female Maroon clown is quite rough on him. I did get another green BTA anemone to give the pink one as break. She's not going for it. . Also I'm trying to mate her with a male Gold Stripe Maroon this week.

Miss Mouse

Aww these clown fish just don't take the hint sometimes! my clown still shows NO interest in the anemone at all - he is just obssessed with his green cualpera heehee. I watch him at night and think of the scene in Finding Nemo when his dad makes him brush with their anemone before going to school. He sits there brushing away with his cualpera and I often think the other fish think he's daft hahaha  :

Callum The Cat

haha real nice I wish I had a saltwater one day one day ;D Callum!

COBettaCouple

Aww these clown fish just don't take the hint sometimes! my clown still shows NO interest in the anemone at all - he is just obssessed with his green cualpera heehee. I watch him at night and think of the scene in Finding Nemo when his dad makes him brush with their anemone before going to school. He sits there brushing away with his cualpera and I often think the other fish think he's daft hahaha :

The problem is that the fish never read the things we do.

atmmachine816

Well good luck you both of you getting your fish to mate and host.

Miss Mouse

I have got a new sailfin tang to add to my tank! His name is Tango
He's a happy little guy and has made friends with Nemo - they hang around together in the cualpera. Sadly though, I have to sell all my tanks next year :'( I'm moving to Canada ... I am excited about goingbut sad that I have to lose all this hard work that i've put in and I will really miss these little guys.

50.jpg

atmmachine816

Sorry to hear about that. Just think of it this way, now you can rebuild tanks in new ways. It does stink losing all that hard work. :-X

agsansoo

Sorry about the tanks ! Glad to hear you crossing the pond to join us ! ;D Will you setup a new Saltwater tank in Canada ?

armadillo

I have got a new sailfin tang to add to my tank! His name is Tango
He's a happy little guy and has made friends with Nemo - they hang around together in the cualpera. Sadly though, I have to sell all my tanks next year :'( I'm moving to Canada ... I am excited about goingbut sad that I have to lose all this hard work that i've put in and I will really miss these little guys.

50.jpg
That's really exciting, biiiig move. Am sure you'll find a good owner for your fish and tank.

COBettaCouple

wow.. that's a MOVE and a half! definitely a LOT longer move than our 1800 mile move to Denver!

Miss Mouse

Yeah although I've done it twice before anyway - from south africa to singapore and then singapore to england so it doesn't fuss me but I just wish I could take my fishies too! :'(
I will definitely set up another tank in Canada because I can't live without my tanks..and hopefully go larger too ;D

I have a friend who is keen to take over the whole marine tank as well as another who will take the freshwater fish (and probably the tank too) so shouldn't be a problem and I know they will be well looked after And I know I can visit and say hello whenever I'm back too

COBettaCouple

lol.. yea.. you're going to have a tank in every country at this rate.

atmmachine816

lol.. yea.. you're going to have a tank in every country at this rate.

Soon it will be planet, maybe you can tell us the home planet of :;z

Miss Mouse

hehe yeah ..sometimes I feel like an :;z when I move countries tho! Well it's gonna be fun

Callum The Cat

hh what a shame about ur fish but good about the big move I was going to say about the sailfin tang they grow to 1'4" so u would need a bigger tank but that's the new owners problem when they get they

Peace Out Callum!

Miss Mouse

Yeah my mum works with a man who's just had a custom tank built - I think it's just over 180 gallons so he's going to have the tang when I go. I was a bit cross cos the man at the pet store told me they only grow to about 10 cm's and I have since found out they can grow up to 40 cm's! I was most annoyed at myself for not doing my research first - normally I'm so careful but I was so sucked in by how pretty the fish was that I had to buy it there and then! :-[ I am quite embarrassed at admitting that I didn't do my homework.

agsansoo

Don't worry. I won't call the Tang Police on you .... LOL ;D

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • TeamNotnat
  • Algae
Replies
Views
TeamNotnat
Replies
Views
heatherbeehappy