Very bare tank

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
hey guys! Finally managed to get some pics of my new tank - still looking very naked and needs some substrate and more live rock etc I know! But i'm just SOOO excited and I also wanted some advice on plants etc
25.jpg

And this is my live rock with the lovely purple stuff growing on it..

26.jpg

And can anyone tell me if this is good algae or bad algae? It sprung up over the last few days and I dont know if I should be happy or not  :-\
clear.gif

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Your tank is going to go through the typical algae cycles and the photo with the green algae looks harmless. Keep up with those water changes, monitor your parameters regularly (if still cycling) and feed lightly. What are your water parameters like?

Make sure that if the live rock you get in the future is not cured, that you cure it in a separate tank or bucket for a few weeks before putting it in the main tank.

Is the larger rock from a freshwater tank?

Mike

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Mike! All water parameters are good - the tank is fully cycled thank goodness. I thought it was never gonna happen!
About the live rock - why do you advise uncured rock? I have a good bucket I can cure it in but I would prefer to buy cured because of the things already visibly growing on them. The uncured I've seen has been rather grotty looking - like its dead!
The other rocks were bought in a shop by boss's partner for the marine tank. They're growing a horrible brown algea - it looks like they've been tanned because this algea is visible especially where the light seems to reach the most..

Joe G

Valued Member
Reaction score
LOOKS GOOD

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks Joe! Its coming along - looks a bit better with more live rock now ;D Still need some plant life but I want to wait for the live rock to attach plants to.

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry, misunderstanding. I wasn't recommending cured rock over uncured rock. I just wanted to warn you that you can't put uncured rock directly into a tank stocked with animals and that you need to cure it first in a separate tank or bucket.

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ahh hehe I thought there was some secret that i didn't know about uncured rock ;D Thanks Mike!

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
EEEK I have a bristleworm too...he's very mean looking the way he lurks in his hole. He reminds me of the jabberwokky :-[

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Here is my newer addition - a valentini puffer fish! He's SO sweet and such fun to play with 

16.jpg

I also have a sand sifting starfish - he is my newest addition because he's going to help me get rid of all that horrible red cyano slime you can see on the sand  >

17.jpg

And this is the whole tank at the moment - coming along but i still need loads of live rock and some more plants.

18.jpg

kano5003

Reaction score
hey i added you to my msn i just want to get to know salt water and what do you do do you just go down to the beach every week and collect water or do you do the tests and can you just go to the beach without the test and where you get the sand from and do you have a special light or just a normal light plz reply

agsansoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I Like the new tank pic's ...!
Not so bare anymore !

How is the new protein skimmer working ?

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Its coming along slowly - thanks for the comment Protein skimmer is amazing! It's just fascinating how much unseen gunk it can remove. I'm a bit obsessive about cleaning so it's nice to know that its doing something that I can quite do...i I love cleaning it - it's like a dream come true ;D

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
kano5003 said:
hey i added you to my msn i just want to get to know salt water and what do you do do you just go down to the beach every week and collect water or do you do the tests and can you just go to the beach without the test and where you get the sand from and do you have a special light or just a normal light plz reply
Hey Kano: I would never take water from the beach - it could be polluted and bring some nasty things into my tank whcih could kill my fish so i use aquarium salt which you buy from the pet store. You mix it up with water in a bucket and then you add it to your tank when its at the right temperature and has the right salt level. I also but the sand from the pet store - you can buy dry sand (whcih is cheaper but takes longer to settle) or live sand which already has good bacteria in it (slightly more expensive but very useful for cycling the tank quickly). I have replied to your other post so read that - there's a list of equipment you'll need to get before you start your tank.

Urs

petercaine

Reaction score
nice set up

hi the tank looks cool a customer of mine has just set up a new marine tank 285UK GALLON its a monster took 8 men just to lift the tank onto the stand he brought the tank out of the local paper the tank alone when it was new cost 8grand it was custom made dean my mate paid £1400 for it with the water the lights the filtration system and 70 piece of live coral and about 60 fish I'm really jealous coz i want a bigger tank and a marine one !!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
WWWWWWOOOOOOOO! THATS AMAZING!! I *WISH* I had space and money for something like that. One day... (dream...)

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
And there they are with the valentini puffer...
clear.gif

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks good miss mouse. Keep it up.

Curious, what do you feed your firefish.

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You got a beautiful tank. Mine is slowly comming along

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
atmmachine said:
Looks good miss mouse.  Keep it up.

Curious, what do you feed your firefish.
Thanks! My firesfish eat flakes, dried bloodworm and brineshrimp too! They're not picky at all

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom