Vertical swimming head up??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Devob415, May 14, 2016.

1. Devob415

Devob415New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Ph6 ammonia 0 nitrates 0 nitrites 10ish. Water is soft. Some fish have white spots. I'm assuming Ick. Treating for it. But some who have only 1-2 spots, usually on fins are doing this vertical swimming head up. But some other fish are absolutely covered in spots but are swimming fine. 2 mollies and a guppy. They only occasionally swimming like that but will also occasionally barrel roll almost down (with head up) and hit the gravel with their backs. But you tap the tank and the swim normally. This is third fish to do so. Other two didn't make it. Any ideas about the vertical swim? I know they have Ick but didn't think that was a symptom of ick. It's a 36 gallon.

2. Bithimala

BithimalaFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +353
    Experience:
    3 years
    Do you happen to know your GH and KH? I don't know if it's a common symptom of soft water, but those fish usually prefer hard water, and with the low pH, I'm wondering if the water isn't too soft for them to be healthy.

3. OP
    OP
    Devob415

Devob415New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    I can't get the Ph or alkalinity and softness to go up. The alkalinity is 40 at most. Problem in all my tanks

4. OP
    OP
    Devob415

Devob415New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Should probably mention they only started this right around time I started to see the spots.

5. Bithimala

BithimalaFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +353
    Experience:
    3 years
    I definitely would like to hear some other opinions on the swim issues, since I do not have the experience to weigh in on that.

I have had good luck, however, using crushed coral in my tanks to raise KH.