vertical stress bars on female GBR?

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by midthought, Apr 13, 2010.

1. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

So, I have realized that my lone GBR has more bars on it than a typical one...and I suspect now that they are vertical stress bars. Are they? -_-

If they are, is it the water parameters? Something else? She's the largest one in the tank (with cories and rummy noses) so it shouldn't be bullying or anything. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. btate617Well Known MemberMember

Any cichlid will color up differently at different times, depending on mood..... stress, spawning, etc.

If your water is fine I wouldn't give it too much thought.

Brian

3. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

Hmm, okay. I just hadn't put that much thought into it since she still had *color* and had rather forgotten that the extra stripes might be from stress. She did just come home this past weekend. Thank you though, I will just keep an eye on her.

4. btate617Well Known MemberMember

Especially with a new fish.
    It may be colored up nicely, and may go to a very dull color just from you walking into the room. Or the other way around, sometimes cichlids will flare up with color when you get near the tank.
    Like I said just keep an eye on it, but I wouldn't worry.

Brian

5. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

Thankfully, I also found photos online of other GBRs with visible bars on them like mine has. And I also read on Wikipedia (citing a 1994 book on cichlids by Staeck Linke) that the wild type has more prominent bars as well.

6. btate617Well Known MemberMember

Basically what that is telling you is.....

most of the we see these days looks nothing like the original fish in question.....

Brian

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice