Verifying ammonia product for nitrogen cycling

• Thread starter aqua_man
  • Start date

aqua_man

Hi all,

As part of starting fishless cycling for my planted tank, I purchased ammonium hydroxide solution today. I tried to get Dr Tim's ammonia and other ammonia products designed for Aquarium cycle. But those products are not available in my area and also not available online delivery in my area. So today I went to a shop which selling chemical products for laboratories and bought ammonium hydroxide solution. I am including the picture of the product I have purchased.

Friends, Could you please verify is this the expected product I can use for cycling?

And also is there any way to check the purity of ammonia? ( To make sure no other chemicals included in the product)

IMG_20200815_180313984~2.jpg

Attachments

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
I don't know it this product is safe for your tank. It may be easier for you to just use a piece of shrimp or even fish food for your ammonia source. Granted you won't be able to control the exact amount of ammonia produced but you can keep it in the range needed for your cycle. It will take a few days for it to start decomposing thus forming ammonia but once it starts it should keep a steady supply in there.

If you choose shrimp one piece should do the job. If you choose fish food, adding a pinch daily may be required. I've always let fish supply my ammonia so I am just passing along what I think should work.

Lordofwar

It will work. Check how much would be the dosage required using any online ammonia calculator. Also be sure that you add a bit less as per the recommendation of calculator wait for sometime check the ammonia level (where it has reached) & then add more. If you are cycling more than a 40gallon tank take it till 4ppm else keep it till 2ppm.

500 ml is too much you would be consuming too little out of it.

When in doubt ask questions on this forum people are very helpful. StarGirl & Mattgirl being one of them.

aqua_man

Lordofwar said:
It will work. Check how much would be the dosage required using any online ammonia calculator. Also be sure that you add a bit less as per the recommendation of calculator wait for sometime check the ammonia level (where it has reached) & then add more. If you are cycling more than a 40gallon tank take it till 4ppm else keep it till 2ppm.

When in doubt ask questions on this forum people are very helpful. StarGirl & Mattgirl being one of them.
Thanks friend. Yes. This forum is very helpful for me to understand so many basic concepts in aquarium hobby. I always get a quick reply whenever I asked any clarifications here....

Thank you stargirl and mattgirl for the quick advice.

GouramisAreSuperior

There are some chemical differences between Ammonium Chloride and Ammonium Hydroxide that may or may not effect the cycling process. If you don't have access to Dr. Tim's maybe use fish food or something, it may have some algae but that's a small price to pay for safety and reliability.

aqua_man

Lordofwar said:

Hi friend,
The ammonia I bought worked. Today I
got the reading 4ppm
IMG_20200816_093738491~2.jpg

Fisch

aqua_man said:
Hi friend,
The ammonia I bought worked. Today I
got the reading 4ppm
IMG_20200816_093738491~2.jpg
The ammonia you get from Ace is 10% Ammonia Hydroxide. So this should work.
Looks good...happy cycling:)

aqua_man

Fisch said:
The ammonia you get from Ace is 10% Ammonia Hydroxide. So this should work.
Looks good...happy cycling:)
Hi friend,

This is not from Ace. It's some other company. Ace is not available in my country. I bought 25% Ammonium hydroxide. Thank you. Hope I will finish my cycling process successful.:)

Top Bottom