Ventral Fin

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Jerry's ventral fins were fine, but yesterday my rosy barbs were swimming together kind of feisty, and one of them bashed into Jerry.  It caused one of Jerry's ventral fins to go back, and it's been like that since.  Here's a pic:

46.jpg

It just stays like that, even when he's just floating in one spot.  It doesn't come down.

Is that normal?  Is he okay?  Do I need to try doing something? 

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I am not sure if it's a good idea to keep Rosy Barbs with Angelfish, BUT I may be wrong. The reason I am saying this is that many barbs are known fin nippers and are not compatible with Angelfish. But I don't know about the Rosy Barb in particular. I'd have to check my Freshwater Encyclopedia. The only barb that I know is very peaceful and compatible with Angelfish is the Cherry Barb.

If there is a problem with fins of Angelfish, the best thing you can always do is to keep your water as clean as possible until the ragged fin heals (or the missing fin grows back). Anyway, water should be always clean in an Angelfish tank. How many fish (and what fish) total do you have in your tank? How large is the tank? How large are your water changes and how often do you perform them? What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had rosy barbs with angels since I got the tank going in January, and I've never had a problem with my angels getting their fins nipped.    The barbs pretty much just keep to themselves...Jerry just happened to get in the way of one of their swimming frenzies.  He's acting perfectly fine, and everything looks all right, except for the position of his fin.  Nothing appears to be torn or anything, and he's functioning fine.  It's a 29 gallon tank, and besides the 4 rosy barbs and 2 angels, I have a few tetras and a pleco.  I don't have a test kit yet, so I can't give you readings. :-[   I don't have a set schedule for water changes, but I'd say we've been doing about 20 - 25% every 2 or 3 weeks.

I keep the tank clean, I've got a good filter for that size tank (AquaClear 110).  My water is nice and clear.

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
His fin is still like that, but he's also still acting in a normal fashion. Any other thoughts from anyone?

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just one man's opinion, but I would think if he otherwise appears normal and unbothered by the whole thing, then leave it be. Perhaps it will resolve itself on its own eventually, but even if it doesn't I would be more afraid of stressing him/hurting him by trying to "force" a fix.

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That's what I've been thinking too, but I was hoping for a second opinion as well, so I appreciate it. I think I will just leave him be, he swims around with Jasper (my other angel) just fine...he's very active and eats well.

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with sgould, you might end up hurting it by trying to fix it. It just looks sort of stuck, I would give your fish time to unstick it on its own for now.

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Jim, I appreciate your reply. He sure seems like a happy little guy, so I guess I will leave him alone.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sometimes one of my Angels will have a split fin. I don't do anything except good and regular water changes. When you keep the water clean, they should be fine. Or at least it appears so in my experience. You may also want to keep the temperature at 79 - 80F in an Angelfish tank if it's lower than that. I wish you best of luck with your Angel. Keep us updated on how it's doing.

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Isabella.    My tank is usually between 78 and 80 degrees.  My water is crystal clear, and I tested it on Friday and had good readings for everything.

Jerry's fin is still in that position, but I also still haven't noticed anything odd about his behavior.  He and Jasper swim around just fine.  I think his fin bothers me more than it bothers him! 

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom