velvet

Timesdragonfly

Reaction score
I think Frank may have velvet. I'm not too sure though, because I have never seen it before. His around and on his head just seem to be in poor condition in general. Please pardon the pun, but he looks scally (not like normal fish scales). When I turned off the lights in the room and put the flash light on him, it looked like he had tannish spots on his head and down the top of his head reaching back to his fin. I know someone said gold dust... idk that I would call it gold, but it didn't look normal at all. Does this sound like velvet or something else? What is the treatment? Is it going to kill him?

I modified this so I can answere the question about eating... he is eating, not well compared to my other two, but well enough for being a new guy. It seems like it takes a few days for them to learn that the lid opening means FOOD! I'm optemistic though.

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
I'm sorry that I can't answer any of your questions, but I'm sure someone will come along soon and will be able to do so. It doesn't sound like velvet to me, but I'm not familiar with betta diseases. I wish you luck in finding out what it is and successfully treating it.

CherryRose

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If those tannish spots don't match anything in his coloring, I'd say it's at least a chance that he has velvet but I'm no expert so I'd wait & see what the more knowledgeable members think. I think it is Velvet tho. Read this article & see what you think:

If it is velvet, don't worry - it's very treatable and you can get Frank over it - I believe Coppersafe is the most popular med for treating it, but Maracide by Mardel Laboratories and Super Velvet by Aquatronics are also velvet meds you might find at your LFS. I think Jungle Labs also has a tablet product for treating Velvet, you could check on the boxes at the store or get confirmation of that by another member reading this thread. Also, warming the tank a bit and keeping it dark are a good course to follow.

EDIT: I just saw Frank's photos and am not so sure he has velvet now.. with his colors, what you saw could be natural coloring. He looks in good shape, especially for walmart, and I have to ask - is he trying to itch himself on anything? do his fins clamp? They don't look it in those pics. I'll see what you think after you read that velvet article. You're like us - infected bad with the Betta Bug and MTS and wanting to take home the unhappy Bettas to make them happy. Sometimes we worry too easy about them having something.. I hope the article will confirm that Frank doesn't have velvet.

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
Velvet can be grayish or yellowish in color too. If it looks like a fine dusting of powder on him it could be Velvet. I would treat with Coppersafe AND Maracyn-Two (to treat secondary infections from parasites) Keep the water at about 84F and keep the lights off. If you don't want him in complete darkness you could try covering 3 sides of the tank, keep his tank light off and keep the room lights very dim. Use a flashlight each day to see how he is doing. It does take a few weeks to fully treat for Velvet but if you are using Coppersafe and Maracyn-Two he should be just fine.

OP
T

Timesdragonfly

Reaction score
thank you Flbettacouple. it is velvet. that picture could be an close-up of Frank. As it is late and Easter, I won't be able to get to the store until after work tomorrow maybe I'll get a chance to run during lunch. I used the flash light again and looked at his whole body, there is a hint of gold to his fins that I thought was his natural coloring. I think not now. I'm afraid that it's a bad case  

OP
T

Timesdragonfly

Reaction score
thank you phloxface. I'll get the temp up and the lights low tonight, then begin treating him with both meds tomorrow evening after a run to the store. I wish I could run out now, but they'll be closed. I just hope i'm not too late

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Timesdragonfly said:
thank you Flbettacouple. it is velvet. that picture could be an close-up of Frank. As it is late and Easter, I won't be able to get to the store until after work tomorrow maybe I'll get a chance to run during lunch. I used the flash light again and looked at his whole body, there is a hint of gold to his fins that I thought was his natural coloring. I think not now. I'm afraid that it's a bad case
oh.. i'm sorry to hear that. I was really hoping my first guess was wrong after seeing the pics in your other post , but you have the closest view of him and with confirmation the thing to do is treat him now. I'd just like to encourage you that it really is very treatable and I think Frank is healthy enough otherwise that he'll respond well to treatment. Unfortunately, this is often part of rescuing a Betta, but you can get Frank through it and end up with a handsome, healthy Betta that was saved by his Betta mommy.

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
I was given a few links that I think you should check out. LZFloyd experienced velvet with his betta, Gainsborough not too long ago and these are his threads, and Rose's help to him that i'm sure will come in handy with you too.

Here is the link with a few pics of his fish from when he found out he had velvet.

here is another one of his posts:

I was looking at them because it was suggested that my fish had velvet and I think it'll really help. I have you in my thoughts and will try to help to the best of my newbie knowledge. Though, i'm sure everyone else will be of more help, I'll still be here to help, or lend a smile. It can be cured, so everything will be fine.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Great job bringing those links into this thread, sprakling diamonds, I'd forgotten to link them in - I'm glad someone here is awake. And that's one thing I love about fishlore - we're here for each other & that's great, especially when one of our little guys might have something to get over.

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
^_^ I'm glad I could be of service! That's what I love about this site the best! There's people in here of all experience levels helping each other out and enjoying our fish all together. It's a great little community, and one that will definitely help anyone with anything. It's great. I'm sure someone will come along, though and add more to help Timesdragonfly. 8)

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
sparkling diamonds - I'm finding out that we're all learning, not just newbies like us, but even the long-time Betta parents. And although I joined in Jan, I didn't start participating until this last month or so.. I wish I had sooner because I'm learning so much more now.

timesdragonfly - You're already helping Frank out with the heat & lighting and i'm sure it won't be too late starting his meds tommorrow. You're reducing his stress & improving his environment which goes a long way in them getting healthy. Has he eaten since you got him? What do you have him in now?

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
Oh totally! There's always something new to experience and learn. I found this place before I even had my fish, and read through all the posts and then I joined when I got my fish and started getting more involved once I had more experiences and could relate more, you know? But i'm definitely learning so much! I think even my mother's surprised, since she came and woke me up this morning and sat in my room watching my fish for a good half hour asking me questions about them and saying how much better Apollo looks. My responce was simple: "Yea, i'm so glad I didn't flush him."

Not even bettas though, this site is an excellent source to find out absolutely anything about having fish. It's a wonderful resource.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
LOL.. Bettas can win anyone over! Sparkling Diamonds - I hope your mom ends up a total 180 from the person who said to flush them.. might end up spoiling her own Betta one day, that'd be cool. Then she'll understand how you feel for yours & no more grief over it.

Open question to all the Betta parents - Would putting vita-chem on his food be good, bad or not matter for Frank while he's being treated?

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
Vitamins are ALWAYS a good thing, especially when they are sick. It helps boost immune system and keep appetite up. The stress of being sick can deplete a lot of vitamins so extra at this time is good.

OP
T

Timesdragonfly

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I kind of freaked. He doesn't look too good at all when you look up close. But, I'm glad that thanks to you folks I have a treatment plan. He is in a 2.5 gallon q tank while his 5 gallon cycles. I remembered LZFloyd's situation when I bought the q-tank, so I kept the box, just in case. hehe! So I have the temp turned up and the box over the tank, the top is a little open though so there's still air flow. I'll get the meds tonight as soon as I can! Thanks again!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Timesdragonfly said:
Thanks everyone, I kind of freaked. He doesn't look too good at all when you look up close. But, I'm glad that thanks to you folks I have a treatment plan. He is in a 2.5 gallon q tank while his 5 gallon cycles. I remembered LZFloyd's situation when I bought the q-tank, so I kept the box, just in case. hehe! So I have the temp turned up and the box over the tank, the top is a little open though so there's still air flow. I'll get the meds tonight as soon as I can! Thanks again!
No prob.. Who doesn't freak a bit when their Betta looks sick? That's what happens when you love the little characters. If you can't find vita-chem at the store, you might see if they have the vitamin pellets for bettas or a good liquid vitamin product to give Frank's system an extra boost in getting rid of the velvet.. oh, and since he'll need it darker, try to find one of those little sleeping masks for Bettas... jk.. bet you smiled. You're on your way to getting Frank healthy, we look forward to him being over the velvet.

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
It's not good to hear that Frank might have Velvet, Timesdragonfly.

When we treated GB, we used Coppersafe.  Because he was in the dark the whole time and not able to be seen, he developed a case of fin rot we still haven't been able to get rid of.  Consequently, I'd think the M2 would be good to use for secondary infections.  In an uncycled tank, where you'd be doing water changes, the M2 dosing can be a pain.  While I don't think Furan 2 or Jungle Labs Fungus Clear would be contraindicated for use with Coppersafe (those call for water changes every other day, which would be more consistent with your situation), you could also use Amquel+ to neutralize ammonia while using the M2.

We kept GB in almost total darkness the entire treatment.  Before starting treatment, I emptied 50% of the water (and removed unnecessary items) and slipped the tank into a brand new, black trash bag, then put that into the original box before refilling the tank.  That way, I could loosely cover the top during daylight hours with the top of the bag so air could get in while keeping the light out.  IIRC, Coppersafe can damage real plants.  GB has no real plants, so that wasn't a concern. 

I kept the tank at 85 degrees throughout the treatment.

He did get a little daylight during feeding times and water changes.  And Rose suggested talking to him through the darkness by putting our hand on the tank when speaking.

It was a drag having to put GB in darkness for two weeks as he'd already chewed up one of his pelvic fins due to boredom, stress, or whatever and we wanted to keep an eye on him to see that he didn't do it again, or, if he did, to be able to intervene.  But, he was fine during the treatment.

After two weeks, we brought GB back into the light, but the Coppersafe treatment continued for another week.

I wish you and Frank the best, and keep us updated.

Mike

OP
T

Timesdragonfly

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I cut the bottom of the q-tank box off, and dropped it over the tank. I left the lid open just a little bit to let some air in. I'm keeping the blinds closed and the lights off (he's in a bed room, so no problems there) he should be okay. I'm using maracyn plus to treat secondary infections with b/c it is a liquid and will be more easy to measure and re-dose with water changes.

New Threads