Velvet!?!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by ilovemynewfish, Dec 7, 2012.

1. ilovemynewfish

ilovemynewfish New Member Member

Worried because in an answer to one of my questions, someone said my fish might have velvet. They have sparkles, not raised bumps, just sparkles that show when they swim by. They have been under a lot of stress lately so maybe this is the case. Temperature is about 78...is that okay? Also, along with the tank I was given some medicines....All Natural PimaFix, and MelaFix. Would either of these be suitable to cure velvet? The PimaFix says "Anitfungal remedy for freshwater fish" and MelaFix says "Anibacterial Fish remedy". Has anyone ever used these medicines? How were the results? I haven't given them anything yet, didn't want to harm them until I knew what to do.

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Does it look like gold dust?
    Are they scratching or are their gills moving quickly?

Velvet is caused by a parasite.
    It's not a fungal or bacterial infection.

It's also been recommended to give the tank a black out.
    Not letting any light in at all.
    I'm sorry, I forget the duration.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  3. carolo43

carolo43 Valued Member Member

Velvet is treated just like Ick is but the tank has to be blacked out. No light entering the tank at all so wrapped in a dark blanket would work. But Velvet is patches of a goldish/brownish appearance, generally in patches on their head or back. What you are describing sounds more like Ick to me.

Pimafix or melafix does nothing for this and frankly not much of anything for anything else, either.

4. Terra

Terra Well Known Member Member

ilovemynewfish, I LOVE your enthusiasm to do everything right for your new friends, but it would be easier for us to answer all of your questions if you'd stick with one place hehe.

You have pictures of this "sparkly gold stuff" on your fish in another post. You have put 6 different threads up rapid fire with more or less the same info in all of them only each one missing some vital part to helping you that a different post contains. Post your picks from the sparkly fish thread here, so these guys can diagnose it. I'm honestly not sure.. it looks like natural coloring to me.

5. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Back when I had Oddessa Barbs, they used to have some sparkles. I think it may just be normal in your case also.

6. OP
    OP
    ilovemynewfish

ilovemynewfish New Member Member

Sorry, Terra!! I'm new with fish, and also new with forums!!! I guess I will just keep to one thread!! Yes, I think it is natural colouring. It hasn't changed and they are happy! All doing well right now!!! I haven't bought anything for the tank yet such as plants, etc, but when I do I will post pictures!!! They are all happy and doing well!! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice