Velvet? Treatment Options For Jethro

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by Bumblebee56, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Bumblebee56

Bumblebee56New MemberMember

Screenshot_20190615-090312_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20190615-090918_Video Player.jpg
    I'm almost positive Jethro has velvet. Hes been eating regularly, doesn't seem lethargic, but has been rubbing against my glass and subbing sideways back and forth on the heater in the back. Hes also been swimming very rapidly back and forth at times. Not all the time but enough where I started to notice. His fins still haven't improved since my last post. I removed all platic plants after doing much research and replaced them with silk plants making sure no sharp edges where left. His tank is currently kinda bare with decorations as I'm waiting for more to arrive in the mail. I do water changes every week. I start by using gravel vacuum emptying about 1/2 to 1/3 of water. I clean off all decorations in warm water and rinse. the tubing in tank I clean in the tank so not to disturb all good bacteria. I then add water that matches tank temp using sterile thermostat and add appropriate conditioner. I'm honestly not sure about ph levels and such as I'm waiting for test kit to arrive with new decor. His tetra 10i whisper filter is changed monthly as instructed. I dont do water change and filter change on same day. I did a bunch of research on treatment plans and want to get y'alls input. 1) quarantine, I dont feel this is necessary as hes the only fish in his 10 gallon talk. 2) turn off filter light while treating, my question with this is for how long. Isnt light beneficial for them. I know it's not when treating velvet so just confused on that. 3) remove carbon from filter until healed. 4) raise temp to 85°. 5) it says to do 80% water change before medications. Is that too much at once? Also should I do more than once a week until healed? 6) MEDS so this is where I'm confused. Honestly I was so worried about him that I purchased everything I could find lol. First fish I've ever owned and seems a little ridiculous now that I'm admitting to it but I just want to make sure hes happy, healthy, and I dont loose him. I ordered A] stress coat conditioner(before I realized he had velvet to treat damaged fins. Believed cause was plants) B] aqua salt heard this helps. C] prima fix. D] mela fix. Now my real question with these was I going overboard? What works best? Can I use all combined for treatment? 7] last one recommend feeding fresh food like blood worms. Jethro loves his pellet food so not sure if this is unnecessary. I'm currently living by myself rn as my boyfriend is away for a few months. This means I'm paying all Bill's by myself, caring for bubba ( 3 year old pitbull) and Layla( my 3 month old kitty). So dont want to add any extra expenses. If I bought this stuff unnecessarily I can still cancel before it ships from prime if answered fast. If not atleast I have it if I require it at some point. I appreciate any advice/help that can be given on the matter

2. OP
    OP
    Bumblebee56

Attached Files:

3. Squidgy

SquidgyNew MemberMember

In reply to some of your questions, as i'm no expert with betta's.

Some filters are fitted with a uv light, this can reduce the effectivness of some medications, it is not reffering to your aquarium lighting, however reducing light levels can reduce stress.

Carbon will remove medications from the water, hence you need to remove it before treating.

I personnaly use seachem products. Paraguard treats a number of infections including Ich and velvet which are very similar. It may be a little more expensive but you dont need as much and therefore lasts longer. If it was me i'd cancel all the other meds and go with this.

When treating increase airation, not sure with your filter, but this can sometime be done by reducing your water level a bit so the return from the filter splashes the water surface.

Salt can be used to aid fish breathing but is not essential, some say use it some say not to.

Hope this helps

Forgot to mention, some use fish food with garlic in it, they say it helps as it leaches through the fish and some parasites dont like it.

4. OP
    OP
    Bumblebee56

Thank you this was helpful I actually just added the water bottle method to reduce splashing. Seems to work great so far

5. Squidgy

SquidgyNew MemberMember

Thats a new one on me, take it all the splashing is contained in the bottle, keeping things a little more peacfull for the occupent? Should still work to oxygenate the water I guess. Ideally you need to send ripples across the whole water surface though. Maybe an experianced Betta owner can enlighten us both on this.

6. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

You shouldn't wipe or "clean" (by wiping or scrubbing) his decorations, plants or substrate unless they have visible scum or tons of algae in them. You really shouldn't replace his filter media unless it's falling apart either. Every time you do those things you remove a significant amount of the nitrifying bacteria. Just rinse you're filter media in tank water and put it back in the filter.

7. OP
    OP
    Bumblebee56

It works great you basically take a cut out piece of water bottle and hook it on the filter. Stops alot of splashing. It still has current but definently slowed it down. I have a bubbler in there. I know most bettas dont like them but hes always played with it swimming back and forth thru it on purpose. It's so cute

8. OP
    OP
    Bumblebee56

Thank you! I've tried my best to do alot of research for him but I guess I recieved incorrect information. I misspoke when typing this but when I do water changes I dont always clean decor. I cleaned them recently because there was white stringy stuff coming off plants and buildup on tubing.

9. Squidgy

SquidgyNew MemberMember

Thats good and as Jethro likes the bubbler, even better. How you getting on with treatment?

10. OP
    OP
    Bumblebee56

Unfortunately my treatment supplies I ordered wont arrive until Tuesday. I dont have a car and live in the country so not many stores in walking distance that sell what I needed. I've done constant water changes amped up his water temp and turned lights off for now. Hes been rubbing around alot since this post. Swims back and forth on the heater rubbing sideways, then resting on it just to do it all over again. Hes still eating have trouble getting his attention since hes so consumed with rubbing. Hope it wont be too late before stuff comes. I'm so worried

11. Squidgy

SquidgyNew MemberMember

Well, your doing the right thing, keep up with the water changes/gravel vac, until the meds arrive.