Velvet? Popeye? 18 Mysterious Deaths Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Kyleena696, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Kyleena696

Kyleena696Valued MemberMember

Hey everyone I'm in need of some help. I've had ten deaths in the past week with absolutely no signs on the corpses or any symptoms on the live fish - until today. I noticed that one of my harlequins looks like he may have the gold sheen of velvet, but I'm not certain. He also has cloudy eyes which appear slightly popped out. Not even one other fish has any symptoms of anything. I haven't seen any flashing occur and everyone is eating well. Any advice on what's going on would be greatly appreciated.

Tank is a 29 gallon. Sits at 25.8 degrees (has been up to 26.7 the past week due to a heat wave). I run two AquaClear 50s and one 70 as my tank is over stocked but I do 8G water changes every 3-4 days and it is very heavily planted. Ammonia and Nitrite are 0, in the middle of a water change right now so not 100% certain what nitrates are at.

Attached Files:

2. UglyAsian

UglyAsianWell Known MemberMember

What fish died? What are all your fish?

3. OP
    OP
    Kyleena696

Dead fish: 8 cardinal tetras, 5 ember tetras, 3 sterbai corydora and I literally just found a dead khuli loach during my water change. Edit: I also had a guppy for about 3 weeks ago. Edit: the harlequin I was asking about also died.

Fish I have left: 2 cardinals, 7 embers, 13 harlequins, 6 guppies (edit: all male), 8 loaches and 7 corys. I also have 3 nerites and a shrimp colony.

I'm aware it is heavily over stocked so please don't comment on that or tell me that's the issue. They were all doing fine for months and my nitrate never got above 60 with my water change schedule. Its just been the past week I've had these deaths.

Do you have anything to contribute as to what is wrong with the harlequin? That's what I'm posting about.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  4. UglyAsian

UglyAsianWell Known MemberMember

I'm guessing maybe the water conditions got bad before the water change, so the rasbora has dropsy? It seems like it has dropsy.

5. Mazeus

MazeusWell Known MemberMember

Do you measure Ph? Any changes in PH, KH or GH lately?

6. OP
    OP
    Kyleena696

Uh, no I would not say he has dropsy. There is no bloating. He looks like he may have velvet but I'm not 100% or possibly popeye. If it was due to water conditions it would have happened two months ago when I was on vacation for a week. I've been keeping up with my water changes so I doubt it's the water.

I knew I forgot some parameter. pH has been a consistent 7.8 since I set the tank up. KH and GH I've only tested once and honestly didn't understand how to interpret or even read the results. GH was 17 drops and KH was 4.

7. Mazeus

MazeusWell Known MemberMember

Ok, so we can rule out a sudden PH shock. I'm sorry that I can't offer any other suggestions. I hope others can help.

8. OP
    OP
    Kyleena696

So I'm pretty sure he has popeye. What are my treatment options? I haven't really found anything from my searching other than clean water and salt which I cannot use.

Attached Files:

9. OP
    OP
    Kyleena696

I lost the harlequin and another Cory over night. Again no signs on the Cory that would give me any clues to his cause of death.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10. OP
    OP
    Kyleena696

I now have a cory who is so weak and ill that he's being eaten alive by my shrimp. I thought I had another death with no symptoms over night (other than the two cardinals and one ember) but he swam away from the net. Currently have him netted to keep him away from the shrimp.

Does anyone have ANY idea what's going on? I find it hard to believe it would be my parameters as I haven't had any shrimp or snail deaths, only fish.

Edit::
    IMG_3083.JPG
    Right side. I'm 99% sure his discolouration is a result of the shrimp snacking on him as that's where they were eating.

IMG_3084.JPG
    Left side.

I have him in a paraguard bath as I didn't know what else to do other than euthanize or let the shrimp finish the job.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice