Velvet, not Ich!

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Velvet, not Ich!*added pic*

So I did some reading and the 'spots' are more of a gold dusting -- velvet

So when I went to get the heater (now the tank is at 86) I also got some Copper Safe (took the snail out) and Marcyn (they were out of Maricyn Two). The tank lights have been off all day now.

Is there anything else I should do/know? Coppersafe says that it treats the tank for a month - does that mean I can't do a waterchange? I would think waterchanges should be done though? If I do a waterchange, should I add more coppersafe??

Attachments

kribensis keeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't know what else you can do but I hope that all goes well

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Good luck, not sure as I've never encountered velvet though, sorry!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning Cajun,

Check out the link below, post #2

Best wishes for a full recovery!

Ken

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Remember that having carbon in your filter will remove the medications from the water.

Martinismommy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OMG he is bad! Be very careful right now as velvet is HIGHLY contagious.....It can wipe out an entire fish room....Make sure you keep him away from your other fish...Wash your hands good after treating/handling his stuff......Velvet takes a long time to cure........Keeping him in a dark place will help speed things along....Just follow the directions on the box.....Copper safe is the best available right now.....Yes, do water changes......Just treat the new water when you add it....

Good luck!

FishHobbiest

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The best of luck to your hope he recoverse soon

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh Cajun, best of luck again, just read MMs help... Sorry, keep us updated as always

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok - I left the carbon filter in b/c it is a week old - the instructions said if it is more than 6 days old to leave it in - should I take it out just in case?

BTW this is in the condo tank 2 boys have it, and 1 boy acts lethargic but not showing the dust, but I'm sure he has it as well. I'm going to do water changes I think every day-every other day and replace the meds. I think I will take out the carbon pad just in case...

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you're going to medicate the carbon has to be removed otherwise it will filter out the meds.
Since it's so contageous, it would be a good idea to treat both.

Both luck.

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Took out the filter, and also added black posterboard to 3 sides of the tank... I feel so bad putting them in the dark like that I hope they recover. The 2 crowntails are seemingly in better spirits, so the meds are doing something!!

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I am so nervous now... worrying the whole tank will be gone, and spread to the other tanks... I did not realize how contagious it is so I am now treating all tanks as it's a very real possibility that I cross-contaminated

Martinismommy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Anytime you have velvet it is good to treat all the fish....

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Remus (the fish pictured) is looking a bit less spotty, but I'm noticing more on Eragon right now. Although the dust is not as spotty anymore, it's finer than before. I hope this is good news!

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Good news, I'm so glad. Maybe if Eragon just caught it, he is showing the effects and the meds have not had a chance to kick in. Be positive, you medicated before he even got the symptoms, he has a great shot!

Keep us updated, I'm pulling for you

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads