Velvet....just When You Thought You Had It All Under Control....

Ari840

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So, I have been noticing since I brought my original fish home, the Emerald Cory's, that they have been swimming nonstop. Occasionally flashing and darting. I recently added some Albino Cory's and Rasboras. After noticing the same odd behavior in them, I started paying very close attention. I thought it was some form of flukes a couple days ago, until I noticed a greyish gold slime on all of them. I know the culprit now, the dreaded Velvet Disease. So, I have ordered a few different medications, PraziPro by HikarI and Ich Attach by Kordon. Right now, I have Paraguard on hand, and dosed half strength (I have 5 Horned Nerites in the tank as well) along with Stress Guard, and for the first night, it seemed like a miracle medication. All of the fish were acting "normal" since the first time I brought them home. The next day, I added another half strength dose of Paraguard and a little of the Stress Guard, which I have not been dosing full strength either. Soon after, all of the fish started spazzing. They were acting like they were going to swim out of the tank and just behaving erratically. I added a capful of Stability and things got even worst. I felt horrible. My water parameters are always perfect, as I have been trying to diagnose the issue, and have been keeping up on water maintenance. So, I did a 60+% water change and they began to relax a little. I left for a few hours, and when I returned, they seemed to be doing ok. One Emerald Cory was swimming frantically, but all of the others seemed to be ok. This morning I noticed they were a little more irritated, so I added half of a capful of Stress Guard. That sent them over the edge. I did another major water change and used very little Prime instead. Now, about 4 hours later, and only a few are showing some signs of stress. I don't know if I should attempt Paraguard again? The other 2 medicines I ordered will be here tomorrow and Wednesday. Please, any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!!
Water parameters, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 10-20ppm, PH around 7.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ari840 said:
So, I have been noticing since I brought my original fish home, the Emerald Cory's, that they have been swimming nonstop. Occasionally flashing and darting. I recently added some Albino Cory's and Rasboras. After noticing the same odd behavior in them, I started paying very close attention. I thought it was some form of flukes a couple days ago, until I noticed a greyish gold slime on all of them. I know the culprit now, the dreaded Velvet Disease. So, I have ordered a few different medications, PraziPro by HikarI and Ich Attach by Kordon. Right now, I have Paraguard on hand, and dosed half strength (I have 5 Horned Nerites in the tank as well) along with Stress Guard, and for the first night, it seemed like a miracle medication. All of the fish were acting "normal" since the first time I brought them home. The next day, I added another half strength dose of Paraguard and a little of the Stress Guard, which I have not been dosing full strength either. Soon after, all of the fish started spazzing. They were acting like they were going to swim out of the tank and just behaving erratically. I added a capful of Stability and things got even worst. I felt horrible. My water parameters are always perfect, as I have been trying to diagnose the issue, and have been keeping up on water maintenance. So, I did a 60+% water change and they began to relax a little. I left for a few hours, and when I returned, they seemed to be doing ok. One Emerald Cory was swimming frantically, but all of the others seemed to be ok. This morning I noticed they were a little more irritated, so I added half of a capful of Stress Guard. That sent them over the edge. I did another major water change and used very little Prime instead. Now, about 4 hours later, and only a few are showing some signs of stress. I don't know if I should attempt Paraguard again? The other 2 medicines I ordered will be here tomorrow and Wednesday. Please, any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!!
Water parameters, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 10-20ppm, PH around 7.
Where is this gold slime located ?

OP
Ari840

Ari840

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
DoubleDutch said:
Where is this gold slime located ?
Hello. It's on top of their heads and progressing down their bodies. I'm not even going to lie, I saw it on my Emerald Cory's a couple of weeks ago and just assumed it was their coloring. When I began seeing on the Albinos and Rasboras, I knew what it was then.

New Threads