Velvet/internal Parasites In Betta

WanhiBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone...

Ive had my betta Angel for a few months. He's in a 5g, 78F with a filter obviously. No ammonia/nitrite and always below 20 nitrate.

A month ago I started to see some brown/gold under his head. He also started rubbing himself on the sides of the tank. I started a treatment for Velvet the same day with Metroplex. A week after, there was no change so I switched to Cupramine, which is designed especially for Ich and Velevt. I did the entire 14 days treatment but there is still NO progress. It's even getting worst, now parts of his white fins are getting brown/gold. I started a new treatment with paraguard and it's been three days, but I just saw today that his poo was looking strange, not all white and stringy but half brown/half white. Is it internal parasites in addition??
He eats well (giving him flakes/frozen food once a day)...

I don't know what to do next. Maybe it's not even Velvet and I'm crazy... Help would be really appreciated.

Don't mind his fins... when I got him he had almost none.
Pictures were taken when I first saw what I think is velvet. The brown is not his natural color.
IMG_1055.JPG
IMG_1037.JPG

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello Sorry the betta is sick!

Velvet looks like little gold dustings on your fish, you need to use a flashlight to see it most times.

I would treat this betta with aquarium salts, or try a Malachite Green bath for a while, that should help.
Dosage for this is a teaspoon per 10 gallons of water. I would not do it inside your tank, it stains everything a light green color!
If you cannot do the green bath, I would try salts. If there are no other occupants in the tank, you can treat the tank with salt, but I recommend a separate container

If it is internal parasites, I would treat with Metroplex, or API General Cure.
I highly advise that you clean the water daily, good water quality helps fish heal faster, it's the natural healer before turning to medications.

For the rubbing, that could be the velvet that he may or might not have had, or ich, which he doesn't appear to have. I do not see any evidence on ich.
Hope this helps!

Krisonomo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
66EB6D15-8D4D-4498-A219-B88549D670F5.jpeg
I’m sorry Angel is sick. Is he getting any better?

My Betta, Max, is sick, too, and I think he has the same thing that Angel does based on the photos you posted.

I tried the flashlight test on Max, and it did not look like velvet to me - the discolored patches reflect light rather than looking like grainy fuzz reticulated over the area. I am still at a loss for what it is and haven’t had much luck with any of the online Betta fish disease guides.

Last week, I was pretty sure he was going to die. He was lethargic, anorexic, swimming slightly tilted (swim bladder disease?), and he had those discolored patches. He had wicked fin rot and damage when I got him thanks to some jerky employee who thought it was fun to put two male Bettas in one of those tiny cups... suffice it to say I briefly had two Bettas. The other one died within hours; they were my first fish, so this is a learning curve for me - my apologies if I’ve messed something up. I do appreciate input as I do not have all the answers, and Max is family at this point.

So, I’ve done two doses of Jungle Fungus Clear (nitrofurazone and potassium dichromate) 4 days apart with a 25% water change, as per the instructions. I went with this broad-spectrum bacterial and fungal treatment since I don’t know what this disease is. I also removed everything from his tank, save his leaf hammock, which I’m washing every other day because it’s his favorite. Current tank test is as follows: 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites, 75 ppm hardness (GH), 40 ppm alkalinity (KH), and 7.2 freshwater (pH). Max is in a heated, filtered 10 gallon and doesn’t have any tank mates; I took the charcoal pad out so as not to neutralize the medication. I have kept the light off since starting the treatment, but his tank gets about 4 hours of morning sun through my kitchen window. He eats pellets and bloodworms but doesn’t eat flake or brine shrimp because he’s fussy, and I let him get away with it. He has been defecating normally. I changed 90% of the water before the first dose, then 25% of the water four days later before the second dose so as not to dilute the medication. Tank tests were normal during that time.

Anyway, after the first dose, he perked up energy-wise and started eating and swimming more, and he’s swimming more upright now. For the first time in over a week, he’s doing laps around his tank and chasing air bubbles. Some parts of the brown patches have receded and others have become paler and started turning back to blue, but it’s not gone. I included a photo to show you what I mean - to the left of the brown patch is a lighter bluish patch that was brown last week. He doesn’t have any fuzz, cysts, or pinecone scales, and his spine looks fine - I mention that because I was initially worried about NTD. I’m at a loss for what to do next because while the medication helped him improve, the instructions for Jungle Fungus Clear only outlines two doses four days apart.

At this point, I’m going to do one week of aquarium salt then restart the Jungle Fungus Clear. I’m worried about overmedicating him, so I think the salt might be a good break between doses. Anyway, I thought I would drop a note here about what is sort of working for Max in case what you’ve tried with Angel hasn’t worked and, alternatively, if the green bath, salt, ParaGuard, or API General Cure worked, Max and I would be really grateful if you could drop a quick line so that I can switch treatments.

I hope Angel is on the mend, too. If not, the Jungle Fungus Clear might be worth a go - just beware that it seems to be a very slow treatment for whatever this is. Additionally, be sure to remove tank plants if you go with the Jungle Fungus Clear because of the potassium dichromate and be aware that it’ll turn your water a greenish-blue. It may stain decorations, too. I suspect that this treatment may take ~8 weeks for Max based on the progress I’ve seen thus far and the extent of his patches.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be as clear as possible about what I’ve done as well as Max’s particular symptoms and environmental conditions.

WanhiBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Krisonomo said:
View attachment 435055 I’m sorry Angel is sick. Is he getting any better?

My Betta, Max, is sick, too, and I think he has the same thing that Angel does based on the photos you posted.

I tried the flashlight test on Max, and it did not look like velvet to me - the discolored patches reflect light rather than looking like grainy fuzz reticulated over the area. I am still at a loss for what it is and haven’t had much luck with any of the online Betta fish disease guides.

Last week, I was pretty sure he was going to die. He was lethargic, anorexic, swimming slightly tilted (swim bladder disease?), and he had those discolored patches. He had wicked fin rot and damage when I got him thanks to some jerky employee who thought it was fun to put two male Bettas in one of those tiny cups... suffice it to say I briefly had two Bettas. The other one died within hours; they were my first fish, so this is a learning curve for me - my apologies if I’ve messed something up. I do appreciate input as I do not have all the answers, and Max is family at this point.

So, I’ve done two doses of Jungle Fungus Clear (nitrofurazone and potassium dichromate) 4 days apart with a 25% water change, as per the instructions. I went with this broad-spectrum bacterial and fungal treatment since I don’t know what this disease is. I also removed everything from his tank, save his leaf hammock, which I’m washing every other day because it’s his favorite. Current tank test is as follows: 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites, 75 ppm hardness (GH), 40 ppm alkalinity (KH), and 7.2 freshwater (pH). Max is in a heated, filtered 10 gallon and doesn’t have any tank mates; I took the charcoal pad out so as not to neutralize the medication. I have kept the light off since starting the treatment, but his tank gets about 4 hours of morning sun through my kitchen window. He eats pellets and bloodworms but doesn’t eat flake or brine shrimp because he’s fussy, and I let him get away with it. He has been defecating normally. I changed 90% of the water before the first dose, then 25% of the water four days later before the second dose so as not to dilute the medication. Tank tests were normal during that time.

Anyway, after the first dose, he perked up energy-wise and started eating and swimming more, and he’s swimming more upright now. For the first time in over a week, he’s doing laps around his tank and chasing air bubbles. Some parts of the brown patches have receded and others have become paler and started turning back to blue, but it’s not gone. I included a photo to show you what I mean - to the left of the brown patch is a lighter bluish patch that was brown last week. He doesn’t have any fuzz, cysts, or pinecone scales, and his spine looks fine - I mention that because I was initially worried about NTD. I’m at a loss for what to do next because while the medication helped him improve, the instructions for Jungle Fungus Clear only outlines two doses four days apart.

At this point, I’m going to do one week of aquarium salt then restart the Jungle Fungus Clear. I’m worried about overmedicating him, so I think the salt might be a good break between doses. Anyway, I thought I would drop a note here about what is sort of working for Max in case what you’ve tried with Angel hasn’t worked and, alternatively, if the green bath, salt, ParaGuard, or API General Cure worked, Max and I would be really grateful if you could drop a quick line so that I can switch treatments.

I hope Angel is on the mend, too. If not, the Jungle Fungus Clear might be worth a go - just beware that it seems to be a very slow treatment for whatever this is. Additionally, be sure to remove tank plants if you go with the Jungle Fungus Clear because of the potassium dichromate and be aware that it’ll turn your water a greenish-blue. It may stain decorations, too. I suspect that this treatment may take ~8 weeks for Max based on the progress I’ve seen thus far and the extent of his patches.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be as clear as possible about what I’ve done as well as Max’s particular symptoms and environmental conditions.
Wow! Thank you so much for all this information. It's the first time I see another betta with what looks like the same disease... Angel is still doing fine, swimming around and eating but I believe that the velvet is still progressing. Im in the middle of a paraguard treatment and when it finishes I may try the Jungle Fungus clear if I can find it. What I think is particularly weird is that Angel is acting completely normal, no other signs of sickness except the brown/gold. He has a lot more on his tail now... I hope your treatment will work with Max and please keepe updated about him and if you believe that the meds are working.

Krisonomo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He’s adjusting to the aquarium salt so far - it’ll be completely in three hours from now. I’m adding 50mL of the predissolved solution every hour.

The other thing I wonder about is if maybe our Bettas carry the marble gene and if these color changes are because we’ve put them in better habitats and treated their fin rot. Sometimes stress (e.g., fin rot, which both of ours have had thanks to DeathCo/Malwart/etc. cup habitats) can activate genes... I had no idea that Bettas could change colors until I found some videos while researching those weird patches (
and
).

I’m going to see how Max is a week from now. He’s a lot better, and I’m delighted to hear that Angel is doing well . I’ll check back next week with any developments. Please keep me posted on Angel, too.

WanhiBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
I don't know about Max, but Angel definitely has the marble gene. He's currently changing colors and parts of his tail are getting blue like his body. But I don't think the gold/brown parts are his color changing... The brown is too "shiny" to be real coloration in my opinion...

Krisonomo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thought I’d post an update.

After doing an 80% water change and running the carbon filter for a few days to get the other meds out of the tank, I started treating Max with Seachem Cupramine for velvet.

I first put it in on May 10th. He got worse - lethargic, not eating, etc. - for the first few days but perked back up again and is swimming and eating a lot more. The gold color has diminished some - oddly enough, his fins have red streaks running from his body midway down (looks dark in the photo, but it’s actually bright red with light shining behind him), and there’s a thin whitish film on his body now. I’m not sure if the red on his fins means he’s healing or if it’s septicemia. Sorry that this photo is a bit blurry, but it’s the best I could do because he’s hanging out behind the filter.
IMG_1886.JPG

A photo from yesterday shows the red a bit better.
IMG_0952.JPG

The pH has remained fairly stable (8.0-8.2) throughout treatment, and I’m testing the Cu level every other day with the API Copper Test kit- it too has stayed stable. I will say this: the test is really hard to read - need somewhat dim light as opposed to bright light to see the color. From what I’ve read, the treatment needs 14 days to work, so I’ll check back in another week. Hopefully, it’s gone by then. I hope Angel is doing well.

WanhiBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Angel is doing fine. I stopped treating him since I tried 3 different medications that did not change anything. He's been changing colours a LOT too so I'm beginning to think that maybe he is healthy after all...and the gold was new coloration. Honestly I just don't know if he even has something because the cupramine did not change anything and if it was velvet it should have reduced the gold.
Here is a picture of when I got him
IMG_0954.JPG

Now he looks like that:
IMG_1126.JPG

I'm glad Max seems to be doing better. I hope the Cupramine will work better for you than it did for me.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom