Velvet? Help! Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Micaella, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Micaella

MicaellaNew MemberMember

I rescued Gas from my local Pet Supermarket a week ago now. Originally he was placed in my 10 gallon with 10 neon tetras and two Corydoras but the tetras were nipping at his fins. Very odd. He is now in a 10 gallon, heated to 79 degrees, filter with minimal flow. Parameters are all good, tank was cycled before he was added. He was in very rough shape when I got him, probably the worst looking in the store, that is usually how I pick them. He appears to have what I think may be velvet. He is very active still, responds immediately to my presence and responds immediately to food. Today I added two tablespoons of aquarium salt and a dose of Bettafix. I know his particular coloration (Mustard Gas) is supposed to have darkened edges on their fins so it is hard to tell if it is rot or growth. Please help!
    DSC_1305.JPGDSC_1306.JPGDSC_1304.JPG

2. Repolie

RepolieWell Known MemberMember

It doesn't look like he has velvet as it looks like small gold specks and his iridescence looks pretty even. I should be able to see velvet more clearly in the areas of his chin and abdomen where there isn't much pigmentation, but I still don't see velvet there.

3. OP
    OP
    Micaella

MicaellaNew MemberMember

Thank you. Any suggestions on what may be the issue?

4. BReefer97

BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

What are his symptoms? Is he rubbing on anything?

I don’t believe it’s velvet either. He does look pretty bloated in the first picture. How much do you feed??

I would do a water change to get rid of the Bettafix and aquarium salt. Literally just put the bettafix in the trash. It contains an ingredient very similar to tea tree oil and some believe this oil coats their labyrinth organ and suffocates them. It’s also called Melafix. I wouldn’t use aquarium salt as that’s (in MY opinion) an outdated method of treating pretty much anything. All aquarium salt does is irritate the fish’s slime coat to make it thicker, which is supposed to aid in healing but it’s literally just an extra thing to irritate your fish that’s already stressed out. A lot will disagree with me on that, but there’s research on it and it was used a lot back in the day back because there wasn’t as many medications readily available as there are today. It’s very good for goldfish health but I can’t think of much else I’d ever use it for.

Clean water is going to be your best “medicine” for fin rot. I can’t tell if that’s his natural blackened coloration on his fins or if it’s fin rot, but I would just keep a close eye on it to see what it does while keeping the water pristine. If it progresses you may want to treat with something like API General Cure but it doesn’t look like he has a bacterial or fungal form of fin rot, just a possible water quality one.

5. OP
    OP
    Micaella

MicaellaNew MemberMember

Water quality is pristine. I've always had good luck treating with salt. Due to all the stress he's been under, I really don't want to change all his water again. No rubbing or flashing. He had just eaten a meal worm after that picture. I've heard both sides on Bettafix, did a lot of research before deciding to use it.

6. BReefer97

BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

Alright, don’t know what else to tell you then. Those are really your only options. Water changes shouldn’t be stressful. You stick a siphon in and take some water out, pour new water in. Should only take 5 minutes and it can only help your fish. You don’t need to vacuum your gravel or clean decor every time you change water.

And the salt could be causing your issues. Freshwater fish are naturally saltier than their surrounding aquarium water so they constantly expel body salts and take in tank water. This is because your aquarium is trying to equalize the salinity of the water with the salinity of your fish. It’s called osmosis. And when you’re adding extra salt in to the water your fish and your aquarium are working harder to equalize salinity levels. As long as you have good bacteria in your tank and the water is clean, you never need to add aquarium salts and extra minerals. Your aquarium works to balance that itself. But to each their own, I’m just saying the problems you’re having could actually be caused or worsened by the salt you’re adding.

7. Meliodas

MeliodasNew MemberMember

Please listen to our friend above. I have experience with Aquarium salt and bettafix, along with melafix and pimafix. They really are not anything you want to waste your time and money on. Aquarium salt is used in some situations, but not for tank usage. It has no place in the aquarium in my opinion. It can however be used for Salt dips for various ailments, but that is another topic completely. If i were you, i would no longer use salts or bettafix. If you need to treat him for velvet there are much better medications out there that actually do the job correctly. Again, BReefer97 made some great points with a lot of helpful details. I would take her post as scripture. Good luck!

8. Meliodas

MeliodasNew MemberMember

Sorry, forgot to include that I have had amazing results with kanaplex. I mix it with my pellets or bloodworms and in a week and a half my fish is good as new. If you take this route, you'll need to buy kanaplex and focus by seachem. It is always nice to have it on hand anyways.